Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
So like a plethora of others I was waiting for the imac mehfresh,
thinking that perhaps the updated version would be ideal for my needs.
Now that has happened i am not so sure they are the best choice for me.

I use macs at work for cad manufacturing design, however at home I have
at present ˘cough˘ a 6 year old self build (windoze 2000pro) graphics workstation, with a crt monitor is on its last legs and a greybox that is just about dead.

My requirements are principally a graphics workstation, but to break that down...

—My principle activity with it will be with graphics i.e aperture, illustrator, indesign, photoshop, digital darkroom/photography (so colour matching/ high quality display is important).

—My secondary activity will be video editing dv only at present) and rendering i.e fcp, premiere, after effects.

—Lastly a minor but significant activity will be 3d rendering studiomax/maya.

So which hardware and configuration would you recommend for these purposes, price is naturally a consideration (I live in the Uk) and having kit that will serve these purposes is the primary objective.

I somewhat doubt i need a macpro for this, but I am here to garner your better judgment.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
(so colour matching/ high quality display is important).
I'm no designer, but from other designers I read posts from it's this where the iMac falls down as being viable. You're stuck with a screen that you cannot change, is glossy, and isn't the best out there.

With budget being a consideration, I'd probably say look to getting the now "old" Mac Pro Octo 2.8 (at a discount since the new ones are out), and picking yourself a nice display of your choosing.

Everything else you say you do would also benefit from the other advantages the Mac Pro brings. Your choice of multiple internal hard disks, plenty of room for huge amounts of RAM, and dedicated graphics.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
ok so it looks like the best option for me is either the macpro (penryn) + 24" acd
or a mbp + 24" acd

still waivering here and still saving hard earnt ££

any other thoughts on this?
Thanks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The Mac Pro will piddle all over the MacBook Pro, not to mention the ability for improvements in future (RAM, hard disks, graphics).

That being said, if you need a portable then you only have one choice.

mls4444

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
if money is a factor, then why spend the extra $ on an ACD? There are lots of other displays out there for much less.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
Thanks
yes my logical sway is now towards the pro
and i realise there are cheaper displays and i may have to go that route
however the acd seems like the dogs proverbial at present
plus it will be of benefit in other ways my son has a mbp.

any recommendations for buying a second user macpro in the uk
aside from the refurb store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.