Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Make sure your ATV4K is set to 4KSDR then there should be no handshake issues at all, the only time there’ll be a black screen switch issue is for any videos that are HDR.
As the vast majority of videos are SDR then that should be quite a rarity.
Won‘t this require the user to frequently switch those settings as they use different apps?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Won‘t this require the user to frequently switch those settings as they use different apps?
No because that’s what Match Dynamic and Match Frame Rate is for which was causing the issue originally.
YouTube have now disabled framerate matching so as long as you’re set to 4KSDR the YouTube issues should now be fixed.
All other apps that require HDR/DV should change automatically as and when needed.

Reactions: Edd70

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
That’s seems to have worked, thanks. So this means that all YouTube content will now be 4KSDR or worse, correct?

The definite price to pay here is the ATV screensavers all look darker. I had it set to DolbyVision before. Not a huge deal but I hope YouTube fixes this issue.

BlackJacques

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
For what it's worth, I still have frame rate matching, confirmed as my TV will show the framerate being sent and by looking at the Stats for Nerds on the YouTube video. I have Premium from the Argentine loophole. So I have a black out for one second, seems much less than when I had ads a week ago. In any case, as soon as the video plays, I just skip back to the beginning. Doesn't bother me. I much prefer to have framerate matching as my TV video processing does an infinitely better job at smooth, judder free, rendering than the miserably bad YouTube app. I hope my case isn't merely a late roll out / app update of the frame rate matching removal. I'd hate to lose it, but maybe I'm an outlier.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
For what it's worth, I still have frame rate matching, confirmed as my TV will show the framerate being sent and by looking at the Stats for Nerds on the YouTube video. I have Premium from the Argentine loophole. So I have a black out for one second, seems much less than when I had ads a week ago. In any case, as soon as the video plays, I just skip back to the beginning. Doesn't bother me. I much prefer to have framerate matching as my TV video processing does an infinitely better job at smooth, judder free, rendering than the miserably bad YouTube app. I hope my case isn't merely a late roll out / app update of the frame rate matching removal. I'd hate to lose it, but maybe I'm an outlier.
It’s not a late rollout, you should find the update is available if you have a look in the App Store listing.
Best not update the app then if you don’t want things to change.

Reactions: BlackJacques
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.