Youtube 4.2.1 = Awesome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asr10 user, Nov 24, 2010.

1. asr10 user macrumors regular

I dont know if this is known, but I realized you can have youtube playing in the background at all times and in the locked ipod mode also. I am currently running 4.2.1 on a iPhone 4.

To do this, play something in the stock youtube app
    Click home to exit
    Double click home to get to multitask bar
    Swipe right to ipod controls
    Press play and the last thing you had on youtube should play

This also works with your playlists! So you can actually hit next and previous from the music controls to go forward and back in your youtube playlist. Seems like this only works from the multitask bar, and not in lock screen.

I dont think any other phone is capable of this and its a huge feature for me. I have been making YT playlists of my fave songs for a while, and this will probably slowly take out streaming radio for me.

I even have a bunch of playlists for specific school questions, and now I can let them play while driving.

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Minor improvement at the most, it still looks and functions like the original 2007 Youtube app. Still no option to play HD via 3G (and no the web app is no solution!!!)

Major failure by Apple and nothing awesome about it. :rolleyes:

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Didn't know that. Handy. I just tried it and played a music video while using Safari. When I went back to the YT app the video went at around 10x speed until it caught up with the audio. Weird but funny looking.

4. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Still far behind the YouTube app on Android.

5. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I don't know you but having the option to see HD with you 3G connection will cause more data usage. Those of us that are caught in the 2GB cap a month is not a good idea.

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Mobile Youtube in Safari is still much better.

7. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Yeah... and you have the option to see them in High Def.

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Baww, I can't watch HD videos on a 200kb/s connection boycott apple

9. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Yes, but when a video is embedded and it automatically opens calling the youtube app, it's annoying you can't get it in hi/standard def. Keeping the app to downgraded videos over 3G is a little baffling.

10. asr10 user thread starter macrumors regular

Well the point of my post wasnt about the quality of videos. Its the new functionality of audio within the app.

I am usually on wifi so quality in the app is the same to me. And when im on 3G I dont mind SD videos for certain things, and when I really want to see something in HD, I dont mind going to the web app.

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

excuses, excuses just like every Apple apologist.:rolleyes:

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Or actually, in this case, factually true.

Personally I prefer the Safari based YouTube web app, it's quality over 3G is far superior to the built in YouTube app.

13. Stell4r macrumors newbie

Youtube on 3g in this state is unwatchable. I cant discern anything.
    It would be nice to configure the settings, i dont want to have HD youtube on the iphone because of the lenghty download. It should have the option to use the 480p ou 320p at least. I use it to watch mostly cooking lessons and where are letters i just cant discern anything.

14. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Go to your settings on the phone, and go to the screen where you can disable various default apps for the phone. You can turn off the Youtube app there.

Install a Safari link on your home screen, and boom, you're default Youtube player on the phone will be the mobile Safari app.

15. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Yes, but that doesn't fix embedded videos like when you're visiting a forum of reading an article.

16. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's very useful, thanks for sharing. Sometimes I'm texting with a friend and he gives me YouTube links with new music he wants me to listen to and this way I don't have to keep the app open.

18. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

That's funny. I prefer Safari YouTube because you have the option to play it in low def and thus it's actually useable on my Internet connection. The built in YouTube app and YouTube on the Apple TV seem to default to a higher quality, with no way to change it, and so it takes forever to load most videos for me.

19. Stein357 macrumors 6502