YouTube 60FPS in Chrome makes MBA11 race the fans

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Jantelagen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

YouTube recently began to allow certain HD videos to play in 60FPS. I'm often watching 720P 60FPS on my MBA 13" 2011, and in Chrome this makes my fans spin up like crazy. This doesn't happen in Safari but I'm not keen on switching browsers. Is there anything wrong with Flash perhaps, since I'm sure I read that Safari defaults to HTML5? Setup is as follows:

x MBA 13" 2011 i5 1,7GHz 4GB RAM, running Yosemite, updated to 10.10.1. It just popped up in the App Store but it says it's pre release. I'm not a dev but I ran the betas.

x Running regular (not beta or Canary) Chrome 38.0.2125.122, and Safari 8.0

x Flash Player is 15.0.0.223, both standalone and the Pepper Flash-plugin in Chrome

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

See the part on this page called 'iTunes HD Playback Efficiency.'

https://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

I'm betting that HTML 5 Youtube on Safari is taking advantage of this enhancement as well.

And as we all know, Flash was already less efficient than other video playback methods even before this. I'm sure this just widens the gap even more.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Are you sure you're actually getting 60fps though? Most I've been able to get is around 40 with lots of dropped frames... the video is not smooth at all.

4. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The issues you're describing belong to Chrome, and not Flash.

Beginning in May 2014, Chrome switched to using HTML5 for YouTube by default. Flash is still included, but it is not meant to be active when on YouTube. You shouldn't be seeing Flash on YouTube at all if you're on Chrome.

As much as I love Chrome, it's just not efficiently optimized especially on portables when it comes to battery life.

5. Jantelagen, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I tested this video of GTA V, ran it on 720p 60FPS with the FPS counter built into Chrome running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZRJoZdM84

I got about 55FPS average, with dips as low as 45FPS, but sometimes as high as 59FPS. The fans started running like crazy, regardless of the Macbook being plugged in or running off of the battery. As I'm typing this the fans are spinning down.

Ran the same video in Safari just now, and while I didn't find an FPS counter, it looked just as smooth (if not smoother) with no noticeable sound from the fans. It didn't even get as hot as when running in Chrome. I've checked and Chrome is using the HTML5 player just as Safari does but the Macbook gets quite a bit hotter to the touch when running in Chrome, so I'm certain Acidsplat is right on the money saying Chrome is the culprit here.

Is it maybe an issue of having too many tabs open? I've not loaded up tons of tabs in Safari before testing since it's not my main browser. And still, Chrome does a crappy job with the video even if it's the only loaded tab.