youtube acceleration

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by potatis, Oct 5, 2011.

1. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Seems like youTube has been a bit sluggish lately on my iMac G4 1.25, could it be that more videos are h264 encoded than before? changing to 240p usually helps but is unwatchable. Can you accelerate the decoding with Elgato h264 stick or something similar or do you need a Intel processor just to watch youTube?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no YouTube acceleration available for PPC Macs. Your best chance is to just get an Intell Mac.

3. kevin242 macrumors member

enable develop in Safari and switch user agent to ipad. You should be able to watch most videos without a problem.

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

+1 for mactubes. I use it daily and I found it was the best way to watch YouTube on a PPC Mac.

5. Nova77 Guest

Don't forget to set the video player to Quicktime in MacTubes.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Oh yes.. buy a whole new computer just for youtube.. :rolleyes:

If there was an award for the worst post of the month you just might win it with that one. Do you buy a new car also if your windshield wiper can't keep up anymore?

To the OP:

Mactubes set to use QT.

7. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

G4 for Flash will be a bit much BUT on my PB 1GHz youtube 360p works nicely indeed. No stuttering. You just have to load fully and then press play.

8. chapmac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have the same machine and same problem. Download and install xbmc. It's an absolute revelation. I can stream 720p full screen no issues. Brilliant bit of software.

D

9. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Also....

I discovered a method to stream 720p on youtube and some other sites (vimeo, bliptv and some other sites (check flashvideoreplacer's site for what sites work) on a similarly spec'd machine, I will recap (briefly) here for the OP:

Download Tenfourfox 6 or 7 (beta of 8 just was released, method will not work as extensions not compatible). Download CorePlayer for Mac OS X, will cost you 20 bucks, but IMHO its absolutely worth it. Finding coreplayer on mobihands website is a chore, search for previous posts in this forum and you will find links to the download page. Install Flashblock and flashvideoreplacer extensions.

Flashblock isn't critical, but it keeps other flash things from running in the background and chewing up CPU cycles. Control click on Flashvideoreplacer icon, which is at the far right of the address bar. Drop down window will appear, select "Download url", select stream you want, 720p mp4 seems to work best for me. Open Coreplayer, Command U for open url stream, Command V to paste into the window, hit return, 720p will stream. Important to not have any other programs open (sometimes I even need to close tenfourfox) in the background. This mostly works, it still needs to be a decent encode, a few videos do not work, in that case I download the stream and play it back in Coreplayer once its downloaded.

Nova77 discovered similar method using mactubes,start a HD download and then drop that download file onto Coreplayer, and it will stream. Above methods also work for lower quality streams (360p, 480p) in Quicktime and VLC.

10. macboy13 macrumors newbie

U can also use FlashToHTML 5 if your running leopard

http://www.joris-vervuurt.com/page9/page11/page11.php

i use this on all of my macs g4 or intel

you use it on safari

once it installs go to safari extensions in the safari preferences

then go to flash to html5

then where it says 4k change it to 360p

then its plays really smoothly and it works like a charm

if you want let the video load all the way first

but mactubes is great 2 +1

11. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Youtube is extremely laggy on my G5 Power Mac. top of the line a few years ago. Oh, and it doesn't even work in Opera.

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have a powerbook G4 and it youtube works fine, i know the machine's limitation and I am not expecting it to perform like a dual core machine.

13. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Even with ClickToFlash? I only struggle with 1080 on Youtube but 1080 not within a browser is fluid with 20 - 40% CPU usage to spare.

14. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

His hard drive must be grinding a lot. Curious to see the Page outs.

16. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have maxed out my PB 15" to 2 GB and I still have pageouts when I have multiple applications open, how much more on 512MB?

17. potatis thread starter macrumors 6502a

potatis

How would youtube play on an 800MHz G4? (Cube with PowerLogix upgrade)

18. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Yes with MacTubes set to QT. No on the web.

19. Nova77, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Nova77 Guest

You can play 320p content without any lag and in full screen on a G4 533 mhz. ---> With MacTubes set to Quicktime.

Anything equal or better than 533 mhz WILL play youtube without lag.

I bet any G4 can play it fine, even if the mhz is lower.

...There is no way you require an Intel mac for youtube, it just doesn't require a lot of power. Youtube used to work well on your good old OS 9 G3 back in the day when it came out right? Why would it suddently require a new multi-core intel mac to play homemade cheap quality videos?.... PPC Flash is outdated, thats all.

20. jusstoogood macrumors newbie

had a youtube problem on my powerbook g4 as well, i tried tenfourfox with the greasemonkey script, no autoflash on youtube and it worked great, it loaded youtube videos in different formats. For safari i found the youtube5 plugin. The simplest and best youtube fix for ppc machines i've seen yet.

21. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

It did, but remember videos were 160p then. Flash on PPC was never very well-implemented. Adobe's fault.

22. Nova77 Guest

160p? really? I remember 240p...
    Btw I think Flash was OK back when it was made by macromedia.

23. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You're right, Nova. From the wiki page for YT: "YouTube originally offered videos at only one quality level, displayed at a resolution of 320x240 pixels using the Sorenson Spark codec (a variant of H.263)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

In 2007 they moved everything (including 240p) to AVC h.264 based video which is more CPU hungry.