Youtube and iTunes don't work after pausing. Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvinc, Apr 16, 2011.

1. calvinc, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

calvinc macrumors member

When I pause a video (on any streaming sites or iTunes) midway, then return to it some time later by clicking the playback arrow, the video will not continue from where it's left off. It just freezes. But this happens intermittently. Sometimes it freezes sometimes it doesn't. The only sure workaround is to drag the circle in the time bar forward/backward to 'wake' it up. But I can not get it to start from exactly where it's left off. It's really annoying.

I have tried reinstalling OS X 10.6 but that didn't help.

My MBP is currently running 10.6.7, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of memory.

I would be eternally grateful for any help. Thank you!

2. tmad40blue macrumors newbie

This happens to me all the time, but only on YouTube (no iTunes issue). I've been searching for a solution but haven't found anything.

3. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Does it happen only on youtube? Or on other video streaming sites as well?

I have been searching for a solution for weeks but I have found nothing. I visited the Genius Bar and was told to reinstall the OS. But that didn't help. Can someone help me please? Thanks again!!!

4. tmad40blue macrumors newbie

Only on YouTube. I regularly watch videos on Vimeo and there's no issue there.

5. Final Hour macrumors newbie

Calvinc-

This has happened to me as well on a few occasions. Although I haven't found a solution, I find if you click on the exact spot on the progress bar from when you left it, it should start back up.

Just a workaround, not sure if this issue is the same as the one you're expeiriencing, sounds very similiar to me.

6. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It happens to me on you tube. I just click the circle in the time bar and it starts back up.

7. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Happens to me on youtube quite a lot, and im on a windows laptop!

8. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Happens to me on youtube as well. Like previously stated, just click the circle, dont drag it.

9. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everyone's input. I will try clicking instead of dragging the circle next time. I am just slightly disappointed that for such an expensive machine, I cannot even use the playback arrow. And there seems to be no permanent solution to it. But I will live with it as long as I don't have to drag forward/backward just to reinitiate the video :).

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

This happens to me as well. Not just Youtube; Ustream, Vimeo and other online content too. I do the same thing Final Hour does; just click on the exact spot you've paused and it should play fine. It's kind of frustrating sometimes :/

11. inket macrumors regular

inket

Yeah, because buying an expensive machine will automagically fix Youtube's crappy website.

12. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

I just tried clicking the circle on a perfectly functional video and nothing happened. It seems to me that the two options to playback are by 1) clicking the playback arrow or 2) clicking on the video itself.

But those two options do not work if the video is frozen so I must rely on the circle thing. How do you guys get the video to play just by clicking the circle in the time bar? Thanks again.

13. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

3) Click on the video timeline and drag (slightly bkwrds or fwds) and click play/pause button again.

Attached Files:

14. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

gorskiegangsta, you have to click the circle and press the playback arrow too?

I thought you meant that clicking the circle alone would make it play. So I kept clicking the circle and it didn't play. Silly me :eek: Thanks.