Youtube and others freezing in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SimonMW, May 20, 2008.

1. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I've just come up against a really silly issue in Safari.

In the last few days I can't properly play Flash video in Safari. If I go to Youtube for example the video plays for about a second and then freezes.

I can drag the play head through the video and try playing it again, but it still only plays for a second before freezing again.

This problem does not occur if i use Firefox or Opera.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you using the Flash 10 public beta, by any chance? That may be the cause of your problem.

3. SimonMW thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I'm just using the same version of Flash that I've had on this machine since I installed Leopard. I haven't changed anything. Besides, if it was a problem with Flash, Firefox would do the same thing, but it doesn't.

4. Sundev macrumors newbie

I've had similar issues with flash and safari. It will freeze up my entire system for a few seconds. It really annoys me that apple seems to ignore flash as best it can until enough clamoring has been made by the community. Yes, flash isn't web standards compliant, yes people misuse it all the time, yes it's super cpu intensive. But, there are a lot of things that can't be accomplished with anything else. Well, unless microsoft's Silverfish or whatever it's called get's off the ground. But, nobody wants to see that happen.

5. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Hey Simon,

I am having the exact same problem. I think it may have to do with an update I recently installed. I am running leopard as well. Please let me know if you have come across a fix. This is extremely annoying as I really like using Safari.