Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Hi All,

I recently purchased an Amazon Fire TV 4k. I noticed the YouTube app needed to go through a web browser, which is kind of annoying but not a deal killer. However, when running a video the lip synching is just a little bit off, which is unacceptable to me. This is using the Firefox Browser, but when using the Silk browser it's even worse.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV, but this is just on a workout TV that doesn't have 4k capability. Was thinking of just getting a 4th gen Apple TV then. Really, I'll mostly use it for YouTube while working out so I don't need a whole lot of capability, but would like it to last quite a few years.

I'm wondering though, do people have any issues on the YouTube app?

Here are some question I have
  • Is the YouTube app a built in app, or do you need to use a web browser?
  • Can you use voice searching to do a default search in YouTube? (ex: just hit the talk button and say "Search for LA Beast in YouTube" and it instantly opens up search results) With the Fire TV you have to go through an extra couple steps of button pushing after talking to get it to open results in YouTube.
  • What are your overall thoughts on the YouTube app?
  • I"m heavily leaning towards the 4th Gen, but would consider a 5th Gen (I think that's the newest one?) if there were issues with the 4th Gen. But I could get one for $120 and not have to spend $200, so I'm hoping the 4th gen would work fine.
  • How well does it synch to my iPhone 6 if I want to play music or YouTube videos through my phone on the TV?
Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Downloadable app from app store.

Built into app, search section, just like on mobile app.

Doesn't support 4K, doesn't support 5.1, doesn't support HDR, Refreshed interface a few weeks ago is slow and clunky.

For Youtube, I don' think there is any benefit to the newer 5th gen, 4K AppleTV.

You can Airplay stuff to AppleTV really well.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
  • Is the YouTube app a built in app, or do you need to use a web browser?

It's a native app that you download from the App Store.

• Can you use voice searching to do a default search in YouTube? (ex: just hit the talk button and say "Search for LA Beast in YouTube" and it instantly opens up search results) With the Fire TV you have to go through an extra couple steps of button pushing after talking to get it to open results in YouTube.

Yes, you can say "Search for LA Beast in YouTube" from the home screen and it will open the YouTube app and search for LA Beast.

• What are your overall thoughts on the YouTube app?

It's ok. Could be better. There is no way to see comments, no way to play a video in a small window while continuing to browse (like the iOS and Android apps), it doesn't let you change playback speed, and no 4K support.

• I"m heavily leaning towards the 4th Gen, but would consider a 5th Gen (I think that's the newest one?) if there were issues with the 4th Gen. But I could get one for $120 and not have to spend $200, so I'm hoping the 4th gen would work fine.

No issues with 4th gen. 5th gen adds 4K and HDR support (but not for YouTube) and is better for gaming due to the faster processor, but if you don't care about gaming and aren't using it with a 4K TV, the 4th gen is fine.

• How well does it synch to my iPhone 6 if I want to play music or YouTube videos through my phone on the TV?

Airplay works well for playing music from your phone, but I haven't tried playing YouTube on it through my phone, so not sure if that's possible.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If you otherwise like your Fire TV 4K, I'd just buy a Chromecast Ultra and then you have zero need for an Apple TV.

Otherwise, the YouTube app on the Apple TV is just like any other TVML coded app, which is to say, it's passably fine if not unexciting. Though I suppose the goal is to play videos so it doesn't much matter.
[doublepost=1522435151][/doublepost]And yes, there's nothing wrong with the fourth generation Apple TV. The first versions of tvOS 11 sort of made it seem sluggish, but subsequent updates have remedied the worst of it for the most part.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Is the YouTube app a built in app, or do you need to use a web browser?
The app is not pre-loaded, but downloadable.
The 4th and 5th gen ATV, known as ATV4 and ATV4k, uses tvOS, which is similar to the iOS for the iPhone. You can download apps via the tvOS App Store.

Can you use voice searching to do a default search in YouTube?
Using the Siri feature, you can use your voice to enter text in a search box.

I"m heavily leaning towards the 4th Gen, but would consider a 5th Gen (I think that's the newest one?) if there were issues with the 4th Gen. But I could get one for $120 and not have to spend $200, so I'm hoping the 4th gen would work fine.

I use the 4th gen, and it is okay. It has been the buggiest Apple device that I have ever used, but it has gotten better over time. I think the bugginess has more to do with tvOS than the device.

I actually think the ATV3, that has preloaded apps, is a much better device, especially the apps.

How well does it synch to my iPhone 6 if I want to play music or YouTube videos through my phone on the TV?
I am not sure what you mean exactly, but if you want to play something from your iPhone to the ATV, you can use AirPlay, which is very, very easy to use.

What are your overall thoughts on the YouTube app?

It sucks. They recently updated it like a month ago. I use YouTube about 50% less than I used to because the app is horrible.

The old one was fine, but very, very basic. The new one added a bunch of features that should have been on the old app, but totally redesigned the UI, making the user experience very bad.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
FWIW - I like the new version of youtube app for ATV, home menu, history and playlists all seem easier to access and play, the voice to text is great for searching youtube

IMHO - using airplay from iphone or ipad is a PITA - much easier to use the ATV app - less laggy and better quality.

I found the recent youtube app update to be a great improvement

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

thebard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks all for your thoughts so far. Seems like I could just use the 4th gen and be ok. I don't care much about the app interface as much since I'll probably use it twice a week at most.

I haven't heard anything regarding lip syching being off like the FireTV. So it's safe to assume that it'll be syc'd just fine? My iPhone is flawless here and I hope it's the same.
[doublepost=1522453204][/doublepost]
If you otherwise like your Fire TV 4K, I'd just buy a Chromecast Ultra and then you have zero need for an Apple TV.

Otherwise, the YouTube app on the Apple TV is just like any other TVML coded app, which is to say, it's passably fine if not unexciting. Though I suppose the goal is to play videos so it doesn't much matter.
[doublepost=1522435151][/doublepost]And yes, there's nothing wrong with the fourth generation Apple TV. The first versions of tvOS 11 sort of made it seem sluggish, but subsequent updates have remedied the worst of it for the most part.
I wouldn't say I love my FireTV, just got it and will return it. I'm curious about the Chromecast though. Why would I need the Ultra instead of a normal one? I don't have 4K on the TV I'll be using. I just don't know the difference.

Thanks!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks all for your thoughts so far. Seems like I could just use the 4th gen and be ok. I don't care much about the app interface as much since I'll probably use it twice a week at most.

I haven't heard anything regarding lip syching being off like the FireTV. So it's safe to assume that it'll be syc'd just fine? My iPhone is flawless here and I hope it's the same.
[doublepost=1522453204][/doublepost]
I wouldn't say I love my FireTV, just got it and will return it. I'm curious about the Chromecast though. Why would I need the Ultra instead of a normal one? I don't have 4K on the TV I'll be using. I just don't know the difference.

Thanks!

Ah. Yeah, the only reason to get the Chromecast Ultra over the non-Ultra would be for 4K. The Ultra does come standard with a brick that offers Ethernet connectivity; though you can also buy a first party alternate power adapter for the standard Chromecast (though it appears to be exclusively sold on Google's site) that gives you the ability to connect it to your network via Ethernet instead of WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.