Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chromecast users can now control YouTube streaming to their TV from the lock screen of their iPhone, thanks to the latest update to the YouTube app.

Youtube-chromecast-800x296.jpg

Like YouTube for Android devices, version 12.03 of the iOS app adds play, pause, previous, next, and volume controls to the iPhone's lock screen whenever YouTube is casting to Chromecast devices, smart TVs, game consoles, and other living room devices. The same controls can also now be found in the iOS Control Center.

In addition, the update enables iPhone owners with a paired Apple Watch to access the same controls from their wrist. YouTube is available to download for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Gets iPhone Lock Screen Controls for Chromecast Streaming

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
They must have used the funding from the ridiculous numbers of ads they pump into YouTube now in order to fund the development of this feature.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Ads? You must be on the free tier. Just my opinion but Red is worth it for removing ads alone.

Six months ago I would have completely disagreed with you. However, it seems over the past couple months YouTube has taken ads to the next level to where they have become quite annoying. Might have to make that jump to Red.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Still no app controlled volume slider though?
Yeah it's it the formerly named chromecast App, now named Home
[doublepost=1486044045][/doublepost]I know we're supposed to support the Apple TV and say it's is great, but it's crap. I hate Ruku just as much. Chromecast is the best streamer by far. By far far far. Easy to use, set up and cheap.

Roku and Apple TV is what god created melon sized boulders for when you are frustrated.
God knows how many times I wanted to smash my Roku. The Apple TV is spared that anger because I unplugged that and it's in a box somewhere.

Chromecast all the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandstorm

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Six months ago I would have completely disagreed with you. However, it seems over the past couple months YouTube has taken ads to the next level to where they have become quite annoying. Might have to make that jump to Red.
Holy Mother of Goku! I signed out of my profile and went to Youtube. The... I mean... what the... just no. No. Sweet Jeebus what fresh hell did you get me to look at? I thought you were exaggerating. I.WAS.WRONG.

Reactions: chr1s60

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Holy Mother of Goku! I signed out of my profile and went to Youtube. The... I mean... what the... just no. No. Sweet Jeebus what fresh hell did you get me to look at? I thought you were exaggerating. I.WAS.WRONG.

I use Protube. No ads and PiP. Hell will have to freeze over before I pay money for Google Services.

Reactions: haruhiko

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Why can't we get simple things like Picture-in-Picture and background playback? Like seriously? I'm forced to use ProTube, which is a great app but then I get no ads and I want to support the people I consume content from...

How come the original app doesn't support stuff like this? Are they gimping in on purpose to make YouTube on Android look better in comparison?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
While we are on the Chromecast topic, is anyone else experiencing lag or slow boot times with their Chromecast? I get a frozen loading page or black screen when I turn mine on. I have to restart my TV or Chromecast several times before it responds.

This is the case for both my first gen and newer second gen (bought in December).

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
While we are on the Chromecast topic, is anyone else experiencing lag or slow boot times with their Chromecast? I get a frozen loading page or black screen when I turn mine on. I have to restart my TV or Chromecast several times before it responds.

This is the case for both my first gen and newer second gen (bought in December).
No problems here. I too have the 1st and 2nd gen versions + Vizio's with CC built in. Have you updated yours by unplugging them from power for a few secs?

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Why can't we get simple things like Picture-in-Picture and background playback? Like seriously? I'm forced to use ProTube, which is a great app but then I get no ads and I want to support the people I consume content from...

How come the original app doesn't support stuff like this? Are they gimping in on purpose to make YouTube on Android look better in comparison?

Because Google does not want to use the default iOS video player. It's the only one that supports PiP. All companies that want to protect or encode their content, enhance the player with specific features (like up next announcements), add ads, etc... have to develop their own player that cannot do PiP. That's why all the apps that matter don't have it.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
No problems here. I too have the 1st and 2nd gen versions + Vizio's with CC built in. Have you updated yours by unplugging them from power for a few secs?

Yep, done all that including a factory reset. Might just have to put up with it until they fix it in an update, or contact Google. Thanks for the response though :)

Reactions: 69Mustang

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I must be going crazy. Got the update last night, immediately updated the YouTube app, fired up my 2nd gen CCast and I can't get new controls to work. Not in the control center and not in the lock screen. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I must be going crazy. Got the update last night, immediately updated the YouTube app, fired up my 2nd gen CCast and I can't get new controls to work. Not in the control center and not in the lock screen. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
I also dont see the controls anywhere in control center or the lcok screen when casting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.