YouTube App Gets iPhone Lock Screen Controls for Chromecast Streaming

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chromecast users can now control YouTube streaming to their TV from the lock screen of their iPhone, thanks to the latest update to the YouTube app.

[​IMG]

Like YouTube for Android devices, version 12.03 of the iOS app adds play, pause, previous, next, and volume controls to the iPhone's lock screen whenever YouTube is casting to Chromecast devices, smart TVs, game consoles, and other living room devices. The same controls can also now be found in the iOS Control Center.

In addition, the update enables iPhone owners with a paired Apple Watch to access the same controls from their wrist. YouTube is available to download for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Gets iPhone Lock Screen Controls for Chromecast Streaming

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

They must have used the funding from the ridiculous numbers of ads they pump into YouTube now in order to fund the development of this feature.

3. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Still no app controlled volume slider though?

4. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

5. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Ads? You must be on the free tier. Just my opinion but Red is worth it for removing ads alone.

6. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Agree YouTube is worth no ads and you get google music with it too

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Six months ago I would have completely disagreed with you. However, it seems over the past couple months YouTube has taken ads to the next level to where they have become quite annoying. Might have to make that jump to Red.

8. rp2011, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Yeah it's it the formerly named chromecast App, now named Home
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    I know we're supposed to support the Apple TV and say it's is great, but it's crap. I hate Ruku just as much. Chromecast is the best streamer by far. By far far far. Easy to use, set up and cheap.

Roku and Apple TV is what god created melon sized boulders for when you are frustrated.
    God knows how many times I wanted to smash my Roku. The Apple TV is spared that anger because I unplugged that and it's in a box somewhere.

Chromecast all the way.

9. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

Yes! Picture in picture + ability for videos (sound) to continue, when the device is locked (with these new lock screen controls, obviously).

10. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Holy Mother of Goku! I signed out of my profile and went to Youtube. The... I mean... what the... just no. No. Sweet Jeebus what fresh hell did you get me to look at? I thought you were exaggerating. I.WAS.WRONG.

11. hagar macrumors 6502a

I use Protube. No ads and PiP. Hell will have to freeze over before I pay money for Google Services.

12. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Why can't we get simple things like Picture-in-Picture and background playback? Like seriously? I'm forced to use ProTube, which is a great app but then I get no ads and I want to support the people I consume content from...

How come the original app doesn't support stuff like this? Are they gimping in on purpose to make YouTube on Android look better in comparison?

13. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

PiP is available for iPad on the YouTube app...

....you just need a Red subscription.

14. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

While we are on the Chromecast topic, is anyone else experiencing lag or slow boot times with their Chromecast? I get a frozen loading page or black screen when I turn mine on. I have to restart my TV or Chromecast several times before it responds.

This is the case for both my first gen and newer second gen (bought in December).

15. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

No problems here. I too have the 1st and 2nd gen versions + Vizio's with CC built in. Have you updated yours by unplugging them from power for a few secs?

16. hagar macrumors 6502a

Because Google does not want to use the default iOS video player. It's the only one that supports PiP. All companies that want to protect or encode their content, enhance the player with specific features (like up next announcements), add ads, etc... have to develop their own player that cannot do PiP. That's why all the apps that matter don't have it.

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Yep, done all that including a factory reset. Might just have to put up with it until they fix it in an update, or contact Google. Thanks for the response though :)

18. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I must be going crazy. Got the update last night, immediately updated the YouTube app, fired up my 2nd gen CCast and I can't get new controls to work. Not in the control center and not in the lock screen. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

19. mcfmullen macrumors member

I also dont see the controls anywhere in control center or the lcok screen when casting.