Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I haven't noticed if it was like this before, but now everytime I play a video from Youtube using ATV 4 the video-title is displayed when the video starts, but doesn't fade unless I use the remote control and swipe down to see the options. The normal behaviour should be to fade after a few seconds, or immediately when you start playing anything.

Have you guys noticed this problem?

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
This app (Youtube for ATV 4) is so bad that today I had to remove it and reinstalled just to make it work again. It kept loading forever and I could only exit the app, not do anything. I even tried restarting the ATV 4 and reconnecting the internet, didn't work.

And you know what caused this? The video was about to end when I swiped down during playback and then it showed the options for that particular Youtube video. However, doing that right before the video ended caused this bug to happen.

I wonder how Google can create such bad apps for iOS and tvOS...

Last edited:

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
More posts about this bug:

I'[m having the same issue across multiple Apple TV 4's all doing the same thing. The video overlay does not disappear unless I swipe on the remote. I'm also YouTube RED subscriber if thats relevant.

We have the same issue. The video info overlay shows by default and obstructs the lower part of the screen until you swipe or touch the track pad. This behaviour only started recently.

When will this be fixed?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
More posts about this bug:

I'[m having the same issue across multiple Apple TV 4's all doing the same thing. The video overlay does not disappear unless I swipe on the remote. I'm also YouTube RED subscriber if thats relevant.

We have the same issue. The video info overlay shows by default and obstructs the lower part of the screen until you swipe or touch the track pad. This behaviour only started recently.

When will this be fixed?

Never. I don't believe Google cares. We still can't rate videos. And why don't they implement QR codes so we can easily share the videos we watch? Hyper does that and it's fantastic. Call me lazy, but I rarely go to YouTube on my iOS devices just to rate/share videos I've just watched on my tv.

Reactions: tonyr6

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ok, came on to look into this. Guess it's not worth it to reset ATV4 or reinstall the app. Hopefully they get it fixed.

Is there a feedback or anything for the YouTube App? Or a way to let Apple know? You'd think Apple would want better support on their apps.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Ok, came on to look into this. Guess it's not worth it to reset ATV4 or reinstall the app. Hopefully they get it fixed.

Is there a feedback or anything for the YouTube App? Or a way to let Apple know? You'd think Apple would want better support on their apps.

And that's the problem right there. It's not 's app. It's Google's. I refuse to believe Google doesn't know about the problems. The problems will be fixed when Google decides to fix them.

Reactions: tonyr6

TAWoody

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
I haven't noticed if it was like this before, but now everytime I play a video from Youtube using ATV 4 the video-title is displayed when the video starts, but doesn't fade unless I use the remote control and swipe down to see the options. The normal behaviour should be to fade after a few seconds, or immediately when you start playing anything.

Have you guys noticed this problem?

Great news!! This seems to be fixed with TVOS 11 so far! You can sign up for the public beta right now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.