youtube app look.....horrible now...??why

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bw1128, Aug 4, 2010.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

it seems as though the youtube app is not as sharge as it once was. i had d/l yourtube and my3g lately whn i noticed that the videos on yourtube were not good quality anymore. so i uninstalled both to see what was the culprit. but neither fixed it. i have rebooted my iphone4 several times and resprung it too.

what could be the culprit??? please help!

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i did not think yourtube was compatible for iphone 4.. try mitube from appstore.. its mxtube.

3. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

use the new m.youtube.com and click the HQ button. everything looks WONDERFUL, even over the cellular network :D

4. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i want to use the stock youtube app. is that the problem? what could the fix be?

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Apple change the youtube.app to low rez when use over 3G, did you try over wifi and see the same issues?

6. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i can put my friends iphone4 next to mine and the same video looks hd and mine looks 3g blurry. what gives?

ps, he just jailbroke his ip4 too, so im wondering which app/s did this. what would be your guess?

7. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

No...

9. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have literally removed almost everything i have installed these last few days to seem what could be the root of the problem. im sure someone else has seen this. what could be doing this?

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

Are you on 3G? My3G + Youtube native app is kind of glitchy and it won't get the HD quality video.

I tried this yesterday. But i've been using m.youtube.com for a while and it works better ;)

PS: 3G unrestrictor works with Youtube native app but it won't give you Facetime over 3G just yet

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Seen to be a very specific issues based on only 2 people experiencing it, my advice... Restore to a fresh FW, do not restore from backup, set your iphone as a "new phone", jailbreak and them start installing all your jailbroken apps one by one and checking youtube each time after you install something (and reboot each time).

if you install everything and all is still working then just restore your backup and you should be fine. best case you'll find which app is causing it.

12. antdawe macrumors regular

Does he have 3g unrestrictor installed?

other wise everyone receives poor quality vids on the stock youtube app

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's what I told him earlier but he insist hat he got another iphone next to his un-jailbroken and it show the same exact video on better qulity, so i give him the benefit of the doubt. But i really think this is just the build-in restriction

14. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I can't find the HQ button where is it?

thanks

15. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah my friends ip4 only has mywi4.0 on it. He just jailbroke it today. Where I had mywi4.0 and my3g and others. We were both in his office with no wifi in the building viewing the same Bon qui qui video from native YouTube app and his looked hd and mine was horrible.

16. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

3G Unrestrictor is supposed to work with FaceTime, you have to add the Phone app to the list, click the blue arrow, and turn on the "IsDirect" switch.

17. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This Is Still Happening. Any Ideas? Can Something Really Downgrade The Picture Quality? My Homescreen Still Looks Awesome, Ie The Retina Icons

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

Just set m.youtube.com as a shortcut on your home screen. it looks and works better than the app anyway.

19. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But that version doesn't have the what's hot today week etc. That's what I like to look at.

20. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The native YouTube app only shows videos in a higher quality when you're on WiFi. If you're on 3G or Edge, the videos will be shown at a lower quality setting. It seems as though Apple decided to do this because the original iPhone was only on Edge, and it allowed the lower-quality videos to load faster on the slow connection, and I suppose they never updated it.

If you go to YouTube in Safari, you'll see that their new mobile interface works really well with the iPhone. If you're on Wifi, the videos you click will automatically be played in a high quality setting, and you can tell because the "HQ" button beneath the video will be activated and red. If you're on 3G, you can still click this button beneath the video and it will work the same way. I've found that even with the HQ button pressed, my 3G connection is fast enough to load the video faster than the video plays, which is very good.

If you want to watch YouTube videos in high quality with the native YouTube app, you'll have to jailbreak your device and install something like 3G Unrestrictor that fools your iPhone into thinking it's on Wifi when it isn't.

21. illutionz macrumors 65816

Are you sure he (your friend) has no 3G unrestrictor?