YouTube app needs updating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I think it's about time the YouTube app was updated. I want to be able to log in, view subscriptions, etc. Is that too much to ask (honest question).

Also, is it possible for when I'm on full 3G that I can stream high-quality video? I know that when I'm under Wi-Fi I can view my own HD YouTube videos is high quality on my phone, but not 3G.

I also don't understand why it takes 1-2 days for live videos to show up in the search in the App, as well as certain videos just not showing up at all.

Anyone know of a possible update ETA?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AFAIK Subs (a third party app on the iTunes App store) will let you view subscriptions. Other than that, I have no idea about any updates for YouTube.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Yep I agree. You should be able to organize search results by date,ratings etc. Also they need to fix the text so that you can read the whole title.

4. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

I would like to see vids on Vimeo... is that possible??

5. efice32 macrumors 6502

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You can finally log into your YouTube account in Mobile Safari. Clicking videos takes you back to the app.

It would be better if the app could log-in directly, but this is a big improvement. Originally the iPhone couldn't access the YouTube site at all.

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm glad everyone else feels the same way. I would be on this a lot more if the functionality was more along the same vein as the actual website.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be nice perhaps if you could link them up somehow, like flag videos you want to watch from the website and then easily be able to access them on the iPhone, or something like that. I use the Youtube app in the sense that someone links to a youtube video and I click the link and it opens the iPhone Youtube app, but to be honest it's too cumbersome for much more than that....

9. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Yeah i'd like to see comments too

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah. Apple needs to loosen up with allowing apps that do similar function. Competition breeds innovation. Can't always rely on apple to update there apps.

Also someone suggested they put those apps in the app store so there's updates independent of the firmware. We'd see a lot more frequent updates.

With Apple so big I'm surprised they don't have a team for each app working on making it better on a daily basis.

Wishful thinking of course.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I spoke to someone at Google Mobile, who told me they were embarrassed by how bad the iPhone YouTube app was compared to every other phone app they offered.

But apparently it's completely engineered by Apple, and Apple seemingly have no interest in fixing the iPhone's applications.

Phazer

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I use the mobile site almost exclusively now.
    The native app should at least mirror the mobile site's functionality.

13. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i do. and i agree with the OP, i wish that you could log in under the App to view subscriptions and whatnot. the simple search and like top videos is too plain.

14. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'll have to start using the mobile YouTube app in the meantime? Sort of blows. Come on now Apple ..

15. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I want versatility with my iPhone.

Like you all said, ability to log-in is a big one. There are a few more beefs I have with the app, but I can't pull them off the top of my head.

I usually just use a 3rd party app...come one Apple, innovate! :cool:

16. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Videos that are not in the proper format to be viewed on iPhone wont show up in a search.

17. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

As previously posted, you can view the standard youtube site and view videos from there.

/thread.

18. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

All my videos that I make myself are all .mp4 format. I use the exact same settings to export from iMovie so they all should appear, but some don't.