YouTube app on AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by aicul, Feb 5, 2015.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Not too long ago the YouTube app on AppleTV was updated. And I must say the new app is just atrocious for my use.

Simple things such as the search is now limited to a set number of result (before I sometimes go 1000's of results).

The home page shows me something that looks like what I want (supposedly based on previous views). But I like to discover and the previous app had a "recent" submissions section.

The search history is very limited, before there were many more entries in memory.

I can't find the "past" viewed tubes section in the new app.

The new app will chain endlessly onto the next tube and the next, but I don't want it o chain, I want it to stop.

There are adds (ok I can live with this).

I cannot see the improvements in this app, only steps back. Does anyone have the same impression as me or this APP is a botched job at non-improvement ?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Youtube app had quite the overhaul. I would expect to see a lot of tweaking to it in the not so distant future.

There are a lot of things I dislike but also somethings I like. I like that it shows updates to my subscribed channels. I do not like the limited information that is given on the screen though, hello how about the channels name?

Ads are annoying however now its less likely that certain channels will block ATV access since they can still get the ad revenue. Double edge sword for the user.

Autoplay is something I have a love hate relationship with because quite a few times its plays something totally random on a different channel that I end up really enjoying. Other times I'll wake up to a recording of the news in a foreign language or something else thats more annoying then useful.

I also find autoplay annoying because I find myself trying to stop the video before it gets to 1 in its count down. Also in the the event that its autoplaying something I like I've screwed up and not been able to catch the channel its on so the video and channel are lost forever.

Regardless for such a large update I think we'll see much more tweaks and streamlining sooner then later.

3. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope the tweaking comes sooner rather than later.

If I can understand the marketing, I can't understand that users having lost part of the magic of youTube; discovery of unexpected.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just commenting on this thread which I opened in January. I still find the YouTube APP a pain.

Time has not permitted me to get used to the different features of this app (as compared to previous).

Again and again I catch myself going thru dismal navigation to reach what I need.

Occasionally my mac/safari/youtube come sin handy to find something of interest. Then I type the full title in AppleTV to see it there as the AppleTV app would never show that option.

Anyone know of a possible upcoming improve to this ?

I'm stunned to see the praise in journalistic sites on this new APP. Lets one wonder what they rated before putting pen to paper.

5. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I haven't used the YouTube app on my ATV in awhile...........I never liked it because since it was a "mobile" app it wouldn't let you do stuff like stream live concerts or shows. Is it still the same way?

6. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I guess I've grown accustomed to it since that major update - resigned to accept it as is. That said, I don't think it's the greatest interface at all.

I wonder if Google was like, "Hey, let's make this app good enough to use, but just crappy enough to give those Apple people a less than "Chromecast" experience."?

I don't have a "chromecast", so I can't test the validity of that pondering.

7. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't know about Chromecast, but this app is definitely a step back.

I use it regularly (every so many days) to void my brain looking at the most diverse subjects.

Since the change, the true vastness of YouTube movies has been lost, I regularly end up on the same clips. Something that rarely happened previously.

Worst, when I do find something funny, which I want to show my wife, it becomes a pain to re-find it.

8. roidy macrumors 6502a

While I agree the new YouTube app is a step back in terms of the content it shows you. I don't agree about finding things again. There are a couple of options.

Easiest is "My YouTube" and look for it in the "Watch History"

Or if you watch lots of stuff and know the video is going to be pretty far back in the history then what I do is while the video is playing press select and from the pop up menu go to the bottom and press "Add to playlist" then add it to either your "Watch later" or "Favourites" playlist.

9. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

On both my ATV3s and my Roku, many things are unwatchable. I can watch them just fine on my laptop, but on my streaming device, they come across in bizarre resolutions (such as upsized SD TV, or classic shows expanded to the point that almost half is offscreen.)

It's truly bad. Makes me wonder if they tested this crap.

10. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi, no-where does it say I need to open an account with youtube to be able to use history.

----------

What worries me is all the web press-articles that raved on the beauties of the new youtube app.

I really wonder if the journalists actually tried the app, or knew what they were talking about.