YouTube app on iPhone 6 plus...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrodsep, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Hi. I have been an Android user for sometime and I'm thinking of getting back into iOS. And I have a fairly simple question about the YouTube app on iPhone. Does Google still restrict video quality on mobile data? If yes, is there any alternative that works better than the stock Google app? Thanks.

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Just checked. There is a toggle option "Play HD only on WIFI"

Hope this answers your concern.

3. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

After unchecking the option, can you manually select the quality on mobile? 480, 720, 1080p, etc.? Thanks.

4. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Protube is fantastic app for new iphones, can put 1080p as default playback option .

Is 64 bit also, loads up instantly and streaming performance is amazing and honestly alot better then the Google Youtube app

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Gotta agree with @Daiphoneboss. It's the best YouTube client in the AppStore especially for the 6 Plus.. It has landscape support. And the interface is pretty slick..

6. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

He's trynna sell his app haha

8. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Thats not my app lol? Im not a developer bro, its just a great app with a very slick interface and noticeably better streaming peformance then the google youtube app

9. Imory macrumors 6502a

No, you can't. But YouTube is pretty good at to automatically set the highest possible quality based on your current bandwidth.

10. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Tried it but unfortunately it doesn't let me view my history properly. I can only access on ProTube history from the stock YouTube app/site. If I watch a video on ProTube it doesn't add it to the watch history. Tweeted the developer and gotten no response.

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Try tubex and see if it does what you want with the history. Its a great app and free. I still miss Mctube, it let you cache videos. But then they had to remove the feature and just closed up shop after that.