YouTube app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kmpoboy2, Oct 29, 2010.

1. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Is it me or did the youtube iphone pre-installed app is now playing HQ videos over 3G?

I've been using the youtube web app since I have the phone because the stock app didn't play HQ videos over 3G. Now today i was browsing the forum on the phone and I click on a link to a youtube video, so as you know the phone fires up the stock app instead of the webapp. When the video started i notice it was HQ and I was on 3G.

I started searching videos to see if it was this particular video, but all the videos I searched came out in HQ. Now, all the video taht I watch where pretty much new, maybe a week old, so that may be helping a little. I searched for a pretty old video and althought it wasn't Hq it didn't look as bad as when the phone plays it on 3G.

I'm jailbroken and I have 3G unrestrictor, but I don't have the youtube app in the list (since I use the web app), and i have the unrestrictor toggle off.

Have any of you guys notice this, or is my phone just special.

UPDATE:

I rebooted the iphone and now its playing low quiality as always. Apparently to completly turn off 3g unrestrictor you have to reboot the phone after toggle off. so yeah the app still sucks.

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I've noticed the stock YouTube app is slow as it could get without failing to load. The mobile YouTube site is a much better and faster way to watch. And they all play in HQ. ;)

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That link was to the mobile YouTube site which automatically plays videos in HD over 3G. The native iPhone app sucks and any chance for a real upgrade looks bleak.

4. MasterTick macrumors 6502

5. kmpoboy2 thread starter macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Nope, when I touch on the link it plays on the stock app and i agree the stock app sucks, but at least on my phone it is playing on HQ on 3g without 3g unrestrictor.

I notice that as well, is loading slow as hell but no enough for it to fail.

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know why google hasn't fix the YouTube app for the iPhone? It's a joke over 3G

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. It's basically useless at that point though. I've switched to using the web app and can't be happier. Videos load so, so, so much faster.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Apple needs to fix it. It's so outdated. It doesn't show all of your subscriptions in the list, and STILL uses the five stars method of rating, which YouTube had long since dispensed with.
    This applies to both the iPhone and iPad versions of the native app. The mobile web app is as better in both cases.

9. Raj24v macrumors member

How do I go about getting this mobile web app?

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Search m.youtube on your phone you can then save it to your homescreen like an app :)

11. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I was searching and found this thread...

Has anyone found a way to make the stock app play HQ videos, is there a tweak that can be downloaded from cydia? I have your tube for my iPhone 4 and I like the option that when i want to save a video from you tube that i can choose what quality I download. Just wondering if they have figured this out yet. I know about the mobile version, but i don't want to have to go between that one and the stock one if I want to download the video. Thanks.

12. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

[app]Downloads[/app] will both play and save videos from the mobile Youtube.

13. Garcoso macrumors newbie

14. 2nihon macrumors newbie

Bypass the darn thing?

Would it be possible (jailbreaking is fine) to just change the URL handling so that all YouTube URLs open in Safari instead of the app?

15. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Stock YouTube app is garbage. I still wish that the web app was more robust, though.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Great question. I'd like to know as well.

17. xIx Z3US xIx macrumors newbie

New app

i got this new youtube app yesterday. works pretty well. Its called NewTube. You should look it up

18. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

I always thought that if Apple didn't pre-load iOS devices with YouTube, Google would work much harder at making the app itself successful. Considering it IS pre-loaded, there's no motivation to improve it.

19. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Apple should've dropped the Youtube player in iOS6 along with Google Maps.

I want Google to bring out their own Youtube player for iOS along with a Maps app. It will happen eventually, but we may have to wait until iOS7.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apparently you got your wish ;)

21. i0Nic macrumors 65816

;)

22. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Haha I was thinking of this thread when the news broke.