YouTube App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The native YouTube app and their mobile site are totally at odds. The mobile site is way ahead of the app.

I know Apple and Google are no longer the best buddies that they used to be so why doesn't Apple just tell YouTube:

"We're no longer shipping your app built in. You're welcome to bbuild your own and offer it on the App Store"

Apple isn't in direct competition with YouTube so they have no reason to hold back features. Google is no doubt the one holding back.

2. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Get your fact straight. Apple created the iOS YouTube app, not Google.

3. tnisatard macrumors 6502

I dont really understand this post

Google is not holding back, they released a mobile youtube version already which does its job. I guess they dont want to deal with apple like a lot of people.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Google didn't make the YouTube App, just like they didn't make the Maps App. Regardless, if the site works better than the app, use the site, I'm not sure what the issue is here.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, lack of cooperation from Google and Adobe has really been hurting the phone...

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I use the native YouTube App when on wifi then use the mobile app when on 3G, not that big of a deal

7. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Haven't understood why Apple haven't updated the App for a while, there are so many new features on YouTube that are not on the App. Hopefully they will pull out a big update for the iPhone 5.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They've pretty much always left their app updates for the yearly iOS update. That's why I like the other Apple apps like 'Remote' that get put on the app store. They can update them more frequently.

I wish their 'Maps' and 'YouTube' app would get put on the store. Sure, pre-load them, but then handle the updates there, not through the OS updates. They'd be fixed faster, I bet.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm aware that Apple built and maintains the YouTube native app. That said, there has to be a reason why they're holding back the new features available on YouTube.

Apple has no competitive reasons to slow the development of the YouTube app. In fact, they have competitive reasons to improve it. Android phones have better YouTube apps because Google has a stake in it. Why would Apple want to be behind?

This leads me to believe that it is YouTube who is holding back features.

The simple solution would be for Apple to tell YouTube to release their own app in the App Store. The native app was something that was a necessity before the App Store, and the YouTube app was a part of the original launch.

A native YouTube app is no longer necessary. Simply code iOS to open YouTube URLs in Safari or directly in Quicktime or if the YouTube app is present, then open it there.

Let YouTube manage and update their own app. They'd sure do a better job at maintaining their own stuff than Apple does managing a third party app.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So...which is it?

How can Youtube alter software they don't build? You can only believe one of these things.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

google can't update something they have not created themselves :eek:;)

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Such as?

14. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Dynamic video bandwidth adjustment.

15. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thank you for your wisdom all knowing God. This is not the same as a native app. YouTube URL's will open in the YouTube app so you still have to deal with the shortfalls of that app. This not to mention the fact that you're running Safari, not a dedicated app with all the specificity related advantages that they bring.