Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Instructions were: Settings --> Accessibility --> Per-App Settings --> Add App --> Safari --> Auto-Play Video Previews --> Off.

Found this on a Reddit link. Worth a shot.
Nah, I've tried that one too and it doesn't affect the behaviour. Thanks though. That setting and the similar one in 'Accessibility' > 'Motion' refer to auto-playing videos that aren't tapped (while trying to scroll) so this is different.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Ever since updating to iOS15, everytime there’s an embedded YouTube video in a website it auto plays while scrolling over it. It’s so annoying. Is there a way to turn it off?
In the youtube app I am not sure if you have this as always but make sure it is off.

Edit sorry thought you meant the app not Safari. My bad

Attachments

• E909E02F-877D-4C88-98F6-BF14DCDF6EF2.jpeg
    E909E02F-877D-4C88-98F6-BF14DCDF6EF2.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 77

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
hello, I have a safari extension available through TestFlight now

it actually doesn’t work super well for specifically macrumors because they already prevent the auto play so in future versions I’ll accommodate for that

but other sites usually require a triple tap on the video and it will enable playing.

Enjoy!
Works like a charm, thanks!

I see this behavior also in apps that use WebView (or whatever it’s called, the one which allows for apps to show embedded web pages), e.g. Feedly and since those are not affected by Safari extensions the annoyance is still there ? Apple must fix this. What’s the best way to make them aware?

Freebee269

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2019
Instructions were: Settings --> Accessibility --> Per-App Settings --> Add App --> Safari --> Auto-Play Video Previews --> Off.

Found this on a Reddit link. Worth a shot.
Doesn’t work. Only works for videos not using YouTube.

Freebee269

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2019

it actually doesn’t work super well for specifically macrumors because they already prevent the auto play so in future versions I’ll accommodate for that

but other sites usually require a triple tap on the video and it will enable playing.

Enjoy!
You did an amazing job. I think this even works better than the extension: stop the madness.

NorthMcCormick

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Works like a charm, thanks!

I see this behavior also in apps that use WebView (or whatever it’s called, the one which allows for apps to show embedded web pages), e.g. Feedly and since those are not affected by Safari extensions the annoyance is still there ? Apple must fix this. What’s the best way to make them aware?

Thank you vm! Hmm yes I did not think to test that. I'll take a look at the developer docs to see if there is any way I can get this to work there.

I think the content blockers (different than these new extensions called 'Safari Web Extensions') do run in apps but I don't think I can build this kind of thing with those.

As far as bugging Apple, I'm not sure. I think that devs can file bug reports but i've heard very mixed results

You did an amazing job. I think this even works better than the extension: stop the madness.

Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear.

I'm looking into adding a few convenience settings for the next testflight release and then I'll try publishing it to the app store.

If anyone has suggestions to make this better let me know. I have some ideas but I like hearing other perspectives :)

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
A suggestion if possible: once you’ve triple-clicked and enabled the video, how about locking it again on pausing and scrolling away? Or even just on pausing since scrolling it away will play it again.

Reactions: NorthMcCormick

Oleballcoach23

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021

Enjoy!

Edit:

The latest version is up on the app store for those who don't want to rely on the testflight build: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/touchtube/id1590705822

You can still join TestFlight and you will get new updates before they hit the app store :) Thank you for your ideas and feedback :)

Hello,

Triple tap doesnt work for me. I click on the target and outside and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2012
Am I to dare suggest this has finally been resolved? I haven’t noticed embedded videos playing at the slightest touch/swipe etc. for a couple of weeks now…

Reactions: CyberGene

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Am I to dare suggest this has finally been resolved? I haven’t noticed embedded videos playing at the slightest touch/swipe etc. for a couple of weeks now…
Indeed, seems like it's been fixed. I've been on StopTheMadness extensions for months but I removed it and the videos do not autoplay, so I guess I don't need the extensions anymore. The dev of StopTheMadness might thank Apple for his revenue ?

Reactions: Liam Steven

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Except when you airplay to ATV, every single website that has a video (YT or not) interrupts the airplay. Wish they would fix that.

Attachments

• 6F978C78-1EC4-4DEB-8FD0-54CAAB9A4243.png
    6F978C78-1EC4-4DEB-8FD0-54CAAB9A4243.png
    993.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.