YouTube Background Play

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Southernboyj, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I just switched from Android to iOS.. Is there any apps that allow YouTube background playback? I used this often on Android.

2. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

The easiest way is to use two browsers. I use Chrome for background YouTube audio and Safari for actually browsing. Of course, you could reverse it so you would use Chrome for browsing and Safari for YouTube.

Just open a YouTube video in your 'secondary' browser (Chrome for me), then press the home button, swipe up from the bottom to reveal Control Centre, and press play. Then you can use whatever apps you want (except your secondary browser) with YouTube in the background.

3. eggas macrumors newbie

^That sounds complicated.
    Just download mxtube it allows for bacground playback. And you can choose auto rotate and auto start 1080p video playback from the settings. So for example, all videos start playing automatically 1080p. I think it's the best YouTube client (app).

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I didn't know control center hooked into YouTube too. I've always used third party apps to solve problems like OP asked about but thanks for that tip

5. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

6. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Play video.
    Press home.
    Open CC.
    Press play.

Not really that complicated, though I forgot MxTube existed so that's probably a better solution.

7. kmpoboy2, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

YouTube Background Play

Download MXtube. Much better than the official app.