YouTube Bandwidth?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Canon Rock, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Canon Rock macrumors member

When using iPod Touch for internet,e-mails,YouTube, and any other WiFi applications. Does it take up bandwidth from our home? Like would we have to pay extra more for our internet fees or anything? Or is everything free when using the WiFi function?

If it's true is there a way to not take up bandwidth and fees etc? If it's not are there any app out there that does?

Sorry I'm just new XD

Thanks Guys Again :)

2. foshizzle macrumors regular

so you have a wireless router, that is connected to your broadband modem. The wireless signal you are getting on your ipod touch is the same internet as if you were to plug a computer directly into your router or boradband modem. Who is your ISP (att, verizon, comcast, others)? Do you have cable or DSL? Do you have any computers on your network?

To answer your question - no, you don't pay extra for the wifi. If you already have broadband internet (DSL or Cable) coming into your house, which is in turn connected to a wireless router (likely situation), the internet you get over wifi on an ipod touch or a laptop is the same internet you pay for every month for a computer plugged directly into the router.

Unless you are only allowed 500MB a day, then i wouldnt worry about anything. If you have Hughesnet or dialup - well, you won't even be able to watch youtube videos.

3. Canon Rock thread starter macrumors member

I have Rogers and I also have a wireless router :l Thats all I can say lol.

Oh wait I forgot to add just incase you got my question the wrong way. So no matter HOW MUCH youtube videos I watch on my iPod Touch, I wont exceed my bandwidth compare to watching youtube videos on my computer which will exceed.

Thanks for your detailed answer too :)

4. foshizzle macrumors regular

if you go over watching youtube videos on your computer then you'll probably go over on the ipod touch. its basically the same bandwidth usage. I don't think theres any way around it either - they measure everything coming in and going out whether it was on your itouch or your laptop.

5. Canon Rock thread starter macrumors member

So your saying that I would still have to pay extra fees/exceed bandwidth even when using iPod Touch to watch youtube?

If so thanks for helping me a lot :)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If your internet provider at your house has a bandwidth cap - meaning, if you go over a certain amount, you pay extra - then yes, using the iPod at home on WiFi can cause you to pay extra.

The iPod uses WiFi to connect, which means it can only share a connection - in this case, your home internet.