Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ready to have your imperfect complexions scrutinized by every anonymous coward on the Internet? You'd better 'cause YouTube has announced the move from 720p to 1080p video streaming to make use of those cheap, Full HD camcorders flooding the market. Now puff up that keyboard courage -- the ruthless bashing of your peers is set to begin next week.
Engadget.

:cool:

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
England
Runs poorly on my year old work Laptop, but that is not a surprise. Obviously a big step down from the bandwidth available on a Blu-Ray Disc, but it's a step in the right direction!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Uh yes, older kit will probably have problems. I wonder what they estimate the minimum requirements to be for smooth playback?

For reference I'm testing on a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, Windows 7 (am at work).

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
England
Okay, well running not all that well on this machine...

HP 6730B (C2D 2.26 GHZ, 2GB, Mobile Intel GMA X4500HD running XP SP3). Integrated graphics have failed me I am presuming.

Mark.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
OK, well it's not choppy at all on my MBP 2.4GHz but of course with a 1440x990 screen it's not going to be 1080p. Does anyone know if YouTube scales the 1080p clip or whether it presents a 720p alternative?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The buzz that's now spreading across the internet is not the hype about 1080p on YouTube.. but the sound of millions of tiny little Mac cooling fans kicking into overdrive.. :)

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Even if it would be 1080p, the quality really sucks!

Good encoded 1080p movies look absolutely stunning on a decent display, but this youtube crap doesn't even come close to that!

Anyway, I still think that 720p is by far enough (for today) for internet streaming. To compress 1080p that much that it is streamable over internet is almost impossible, if you do so, you loose that much detail that a 720p with the same bitrate looks definitely better.

Uh yes, older kit will probably have problems. I wonder what they estimate the minimum requirements to be for smooth playback?

For reference I'm testing on a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, Windows 7 (am at work).

OK... why the dog? Why not your face?

But is that 1080p? It looks like 720 to me all day long. 1080p shouldn’t be available until next week. I can’t wait to see the youtube controversy that is going to explode when girls are doing those dancing videos in 1080p. I don’t know why it hasn’t exploded yet but I know it’s coming with 1080p videos.

Note: The thread caught my interest before I read the story it was linked to. I realize now that the video with the dog is not yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.