youtube...best way to use it on the iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by himynameiscody, Feb 11, 2012.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

do you guys use the stock youtube app, the mobile site? or downloaded something else? i feel like the one that comes with the iphone doesn't seem to function to well, especially when searching....also i hate how if i view a youtube link after the video closes it takes me to the youtube app.

basically this thread is asking what is the best way to use youtube on the iphone

edit: what made me even get on the topic of youtube i forgot to ask my original question.....if i keep the rotation lock on like most people do, can i still get videos to play widescreen without going thru all the settings just so i can watch a video?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

if i was to save an mp3 from protube would it tell me the quality of the song? could i transfer it to my music library through like ifile or something

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

1: in most cases it's 256kBs

2: never tried but I don't see why not.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

the mobile youutube site is much better than the youtube app.....is protube pretty much just the youtube app with a couple extra features?...if that's the case i'll just use the mobile site

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

why not do a google search on protube and learn about the app. That's just a crazy wacky thought though. You asked what was better I said what was better imo.

7. Prey macrumors newbie

Prey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For some reason the mobile site has stopped working for me. Just a blank screen along with the annoying "Add this..." pop up at the bottom.

I don't mind the app. Ever since the upgrade to iOS 5, it's been just as good as the mobile site for me.

8. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Thanks for that. I have been using MXtube and never liked it. Protube is great. Well worth the 98p :)

9. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

10. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

What is the diff between the two, (I have mxtube and i'm not overly impressed).

11. Nekcik macrumors member

Nekcik

Yup , it will even let you record the video in HD (when available) all options will be displayed 360, 480, 720 and 1080

12. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

[​IMG]

13. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

can you make it play landscape without having rotation on

14. Nekcik macrumors member

Nekcik

I don't understand what you mean by without having rotation on. It works like it should, You turn the phone landscape and the video will play in landscape. Hold it Vertical and it plays that way without turning anything on or off. Hope that answers your question.

15. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

what i mean is i keep rotation locked so my screen doesn't spin.....sometimes i'll watch a youtube video while the rotation is locked and it'll play either landscape or portrate....not sure how it decides...i noticed the app usually plays in landscape even with the rotation lock on, but the mobile site gives me a small portrait video. i prefer the mobile site due to the better UI, search, and HD ability

16. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

17. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nvm hd is for iPad. Downloading now.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm sure it's a paid version! ;)

19. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Of course. I don't even use inatallus. If I think the app deserves my money, then they get it. I do the same with music.

Is it normal to have to turn off the rotation lock just to get videos in landscape

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If there's a tweak to always show videos in landscape even though rotation lock is on, then I want it too!

21. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

so i'm not the only one who hates toggling the rotation each time

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No you're not :p
    For some reason I don't always have to

23. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

do you use an app or mobile site to view videos

24. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Sometimes directly from tweetbot and sometimes on safari. I rarely go into the youtube app

25. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Youtube app stinks!

I disabled it and just use the youtube website.