Youtube blocking videos from being viewed on iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ronaldmcdonald, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ronaldmcdonald, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

I know music videos etc are blocked from the mobile youtube site, but I'm not talking about that.

I've recently noticed that even videos that are normally available on youtube mobile no longer are. For example, whenever I go to sites like reddit.com and pick out a random youtube link (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiejNAUwcQ8&feature=player_embedded), the video will not load, regardless of whether I open it in browser or the youtube app.

However, the same video works if I use the likes of puffin/skyfire or my PC. In fact, other than the list of "featured videos" on the youtube app, I can't recall having any other youtube videos successfully loading on my iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.3.

So far, I have tried restarting the app, restarting the iPad but the problem seems to be something from the server side (i.e. youtube blocking iPad access?).

edit: If I change firefox's useragent to identify itself as ipad, none of the youtube videos will work. So it seems like the problem is with youtube blocking access, rather than anything due to the iPad itself...

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Sounds like a Google/YouTube conspiracy to me! Youtube videos play amazingly well on every android device I have.

Or it could simply be your iPad that is somehow YouTube flummoxed. Mine works fine. Just tested it to make sure.

3. Cha macrumors regular

Change the www in the url to m for the mobile site. Looks like the "feature=player_embedded" is not properly redirecting to to the mobile site. You can also remove "feature=player_embedded" from the query string and the redirection to the m (mobile) subdomain will work.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you using the built-in YouTube viewer application or the Safari web brower? Trick question. They both work fine here.

5. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I get the same thing using my work's wifi: all YouTube vids just stay at the loading screen. The same vids load on my work pc.

They say they're not blocking anything, but there you are.

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been having issues loading videos too, usually browsing to another video and going back will get the video to load.