YouTube choppy playback

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wolf39us, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Wolf39us macrumors newbie

Wolf39us

I think this finally might be the last straw for this ATV4. In the previous OS 9.1, YouTube played pretty smoothly with very little issue. On the other hand, Plex would stutter every 15 or so minutes.

Fast forward to TV OS 9.2... Plex stutter still exists, and now YouTube has began stuttering.

I love all of the new features in OS 9.2... But it just seems things aren't running as smoothly as I'd like. The remote takes forever to connect when I first turn on the ATV whereas before it was instant. Games are choppier than before as well.

I mean... I have a NUC setup on the tv as an HTPC, I just wanted something simple to use. Apple TV IS easy to use and I really like it a lot. I'm just not happy with the choppy video playback.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

PS: The network has been fully analyzed, there is no reason this box should have choppy playback. The choppiness is inconsistent but very much annoying.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Are you on WiFi or Ethernet?

I have always said you should be wired when you can be wired. But a just switched one of my Apple TV's to WiFi to solve a problem. But my Airport Extreme 802.11ac (5ghz) is about 20 feet without a wall in-between.

My problem is not the same as yours. But for some reason my Ethernet Connection was causing a problem with a second Apple TV. Both are streaming MPEG 2 Content so a lot of data moving around.

I am at a loss to why this solved my problem. Makes me think I should try a different Apple TV thinking it could have a bad Ethernet Port on one of them. Maybe worth a try for you.

3. Wolf39us thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolf39us

Wifi 5ghz AC. About 5 feet away.

It's not hard to understand why you would have trouble on the Ethernet port, given that it is a 10/100 port.

The AC wifi is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Ethernet connection.

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Plex doesn't do Fast-Forward yet, it exits playback if you attempt -- so you have to Skip-Ahead 10 seconds at a time with the remote -- is that what you mean by "stutter"? Fast Forward works fine in all other video apps.

5. Wolf39us thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolf39us

Not at all. I mean persistent frame drops while the video is playing... Usually for about 25 seconds every 15 or so minutes.

You can clearly see a perfect smoothness drop down to something like 20fps or whatever (made up number)

6. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

A couple updates back, Plex on my ATV4 started rebuffering fairly often which it hadn't done before. Within [Settings] of the ATV4 Plex app if you scroll down to [Advanced] there are a couple settings, both of which default to [ON]: [Allow Direct Streaming] and [Allow Direct Play]. Not sure what the differences between the 2 settings are, but I turned [Allow Direct Play] off and haven't run into rebuffering since.

7. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I'm noticing the YouTube choppy playback after TV OS 9.2. It seems to be fine for a few videos and then starts with the choppy playback. The only way to solve it is to quit the app (double click home button) and go back into it. It's fine for a few videos and then gets choppy again.

I'm hoping this is just a matter of an app update by YouTube.

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Same issue here, it's not even fine for a few minutes. Depending on what I'm watching, it's look fairly smooth but is getting gradually further and further behind the audio, or it's very jumpy like it misses every other second but keeps up with the audio.

Definitely only happened since 9.2, my ATV is about 6 inches away from my Airport Time Capsule

9. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

My new Apple TV had a lot of issues running wired. Running wireless it runs better. No surprise as my 3rd gen had the same issues wired. I would see the switch LED go off many times in just one hour. Then when I woke it up it said no connection and after about 5 seconds it would connect. It did this wired on my 3rd and 4th gen Apple TV's. I run everything wireless on 5ghz anyway.

10. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I'm running wireless on 5 GHz with the latest Airport Extreme. YouTube is choppy. Only started after the 9.2 TV OS update.

11. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Having the same issue with YouTube since updating the Apple TV.

Only fix I have found is closing YouTube using the App Switcher and going back into it.

12. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I'm having this problem too and the only "fix" I've found is force quitting YouTube.

13. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I've also noticed that the red and white YouTube splash screen no longer shows when I launch the app. Just a white screen and then the main menu.

14. ConvertedToMac macrumors newbie

Mine's doing this now. Can be solved for me by a restart in settings. Starts again after using YouTube for a while. Maybe it's some sort of cache thing. Netflix and BBC iplayer are as smooth as silk.

15. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I hope there is an update to fix this soon it's really annoying!

16. Force332 macrumors member

Same issue here. YouTube playback stutter after upgrading to iOS 9.2. I found a thread on another website where YouTube agnowledges the issue and that they are working on a fix. It's been a few weeks with no fix but it seems they are aware of the issue. Guess we'll just have to keep on waiting.

17. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet

I'm using ethernet and don't have the problem with choppiness. The problem I have is with the video becoming soft and then sharp and soft and sharp... The audio doesn't seem affected and I use it for listening to music while I surf mostly so its not a big deal but I wonder what's going on.

18. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Damn, I have it too. Who can fix this?

19. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Anyone know if this was fixed in today's TVOS update? Been using YouTube for 2 hours so far and it's been perfect so far!

20. archer75 macrumors 65816

10/100 ethernet is all you need. Even for streaming full bitrate Bluray it is way more than enough speed. AC may be faster but wireless is inconsistent and not as reliable as wired.
    If someone is having issues on the ATV over ethernet it is clearly a firmware or hardware issue.

21. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Seems today's 9.2.1 update has fixed the issue. So it was Apple's bug after all, figures. It's only been a few months.

22. cynics macrumors G3

It would even be more accurate to say wifi AC isn't faster, it has a higher capacity. A connections ping in milliseconds is speed, it's Mbps is its capacity.

In real world testing I can't tell a difference and even streaming a 30gb Bluray MKV ethernet is more than adequate. If streaming a bluray can't saturate its connection I'm not sure what someone could possibly be doing on an ATV to do it.

Thankfully I haven't had any problems with YouTube because I use it near constantly. I'd say 85% of my entertainment comes from YouTube. I've used wifi and ethernet without problem.

I used to have an issue but it was due to my outdated cable modem that didn't support channel bonding. In speed test is get full speed but in real world use it would buffer constantly.

I'd like to help you guys out but there was no setup involved for me. I'm using an AirPort Extreme with one of the newer Axxis (Motorola?) surfboard cable modems.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2016 ---
    Give it a bit of time. Restarting (such as a restart from updating) has temporarily fixed people's problems as mentioned above.

23. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Nope, seems solid. Restarting the system previously would only temporarily address the issue for a handful of videos. Now running countless vids without fail. Can't believe this bug was not addressed immediately, not months later.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Still be nice to put some time between the update for a larger user base rather then just yourself.

I never had the problem since the day the ATV4 was launched. Would it be fair for me to tell you there wasn't a problem like you are doing now?

25. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Ummm, am I in a discussion forum or the twilight zone?