Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Not sure what happened but in the recent days i noticed a strange behavior with adguard. the adguard blocker kinds of works in youtube, but now, instead of playing the adds, it plays a totally white screen, which btw, can be skipped. Has anyone experienced this behavior?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Yeah I’ve had the same issue as well. Additionally, I’ve seen a few other posts on the forum complaining of the same problem. Hopefully AdGuard can soon get a fix out for this!

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue. I temporarily switched to Brave browser for all my YouTube needs and adblocker works as intended.

Reactions: theapplehead

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Not sure what happened but in the recent days i noticed a strange behavior with adguard. the adguard blocker kinds of works in youtube, but now, instead of playing the adds, it plays a totally white screen, which btw, can be skipped. Has anyone experienced this behavior?
Do you use the YouTube app or YouTube on a browser?

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
I use the app and the safari link.
I have had the white screen skip ads option for a long while if I use the safari link.
This does not occur if you use the app....where the ads are more pervasive than ever.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
With adblock on:

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.50.16 AM.png

hn333

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2020
I notice this with uBlock Origin also on my Chromebook.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The easy workaround is to download the video you want to watch. That way, you won't see any adds. I use Downie 4 to download videos. In a matter of a few seconds, I have my download and can watch without worrying about seeing the white screen with the circle countdown etc.

• Haha
Reactions: idktbh

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
There seems to be a lot more warfare against adblockers these days. No problems here —- but I do have YouTube red Family so I might not even notice it.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I thought I was the only one with the issue, glad to know I was not.

I use an app that you can get in the iOS and macOS App Stores, it is called "YouTube Ads Auto-Skipper" which skips the ad automatically, you will only see that screen for less than a second and then it is skipped and your video plays.

Well worth the $0.99 purchase price!!!

:apple:

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
No such issues for me, though more than youtube I love the fact that I can browse Instagram without ANY ads in stories or posts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.