YouTube Currently Testing New Dark Mode for Mobile iOS App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube appears to be in the testing phase of adding a new dark theme for its official iOS app, according to reports.

Reddit user Dean Cobb revealed on Monday night that a new dark mode was already live as an option in the Settings section of the app after updating to version 13.01.4.

[​IMG]
    Dark mode via Redditor amievengabereal

However, as of this morning, rollout of the feature still seems to be limited to a handful of users, suggesting a selective server-side activation on YouTube's end.

App Store release notes for YouTube version 13.0.1 make no mention of the dark mode addition either, but we'll update this article if the rollout gains pace anytime soon.

YouTube is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Currently Testing New Dark Mode for Mobile iOS App

2. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

3. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

4. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Not going to happen. They have PiP enabled for Youtube Red. Looks like this and offline viewing will be reserved for those who pay for the subscription :(

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

And the subscription isn’t even available in all countries.

6. slammer0 macrumors newbie

That's just not true.

People just want YouTube to work on an iOS the same way as it works on macOS. Including background playback and PiP. It is stupid that they still didn't add this. But this is how monopoly works...

7. PR1985 macrumors 6502a

8. foobarbaz macrumors 6502a

9. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Wish there was an iOS dark mode, especially for the X which would yield massive power savings with the OLED screen. Perhaps we should spam Apple with bug reports and suggestions like back in 2012 with Daniel Hooper's concept keyboard which became reality a few years later.

10. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I have YT Red and it does NOT have PIP enabled; it’s one of my biggest complaints about YouTube on iOS.

12. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

Why does this need tested? People are going to want it and use it. Just put it out.

13. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Cool I guess... but why can’t Apple do Dark mode? It would actually really help the new OLED X, and all iPhone batteries. :/

K.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I think it is coming sooner or later. Now they only have OLED on a single model of iPhone and not on the iPad, I guess iOS 12 or 13 will introduce dark mode as their lineup will be mostly, or entirely, OLED

15. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I hope not about the OLED... or at least until it’s really improved. LCD may have issues but it’s longevity and versatility is superior to OLED for now, and I don’t see that changing for a bit longer. I think MAYBE iOS 13-14 it’s possible they get better, but what about 120hz on an iPad Pro with OLED, will that be a problem like I’ve heard it can be?

Kallum.

16. 6803390 Suspended

I just dont understand in 2018 now they are introducing dark mode - surely this should have been an option years ago especially with iOS!

17. recoil80 macrumors 68020

LCD is fine, I own a 8+ and I like it, especially since it supports true tone.
    No rush for me to switch to OLED, but I think they'll move their entire lineup to OLED sooner or later.

18. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Do people use the stock YouTube app? Damn its frickin annoying with annotations showing up every 30 seconds.

Tubex is better. No annotations, fewer ads, and can listen to audio in the background or while phone is locked.

19. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

You’re right. I just checked and it’s only for select devices on Android. At least this means I’m even less tempted to get a Red subscription.

20. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

Finally! About time! Having a dark theme in the desktop version and not in the mobile version is kinda strange....

21. SteveBlobs macrumors member

The YouTube app has to be the worst designed app I have the pleasure of using on a daily basis. Very confusing layout and difficult to get from one video to another.

22. Fiachers macrumors member

Yeah I don't get what's so complicated here.

23. vicviper789 macrumors regular

It's a shame, my Protube just quit working too. There arnt any ads but little things like autorotate and lock in landscape mode no longer work. Seriously, it's impossible to lay in bed on your side and watch youtube in landscape.

24. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Exact reason I’m on 11.1 and gonna be jailbreaking. Just waiting for cydia to be updated. Then I’ll have a true system wide dark mode. #CANTWAIT!!!

25. max2 macrumors 68030