Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google appears to be testing a Dark Mode feature for YouTube in the latest version of its Chrome 57 desktop browser.

The built-in mode was discovered on Thursday and shared in a Reddit post, and while the setting doesn't appear by default, a quick command in the developer console is all that's required to enable it.

Screen-Shot-1-2-800x713.jpg
YouTube Dark Mode in Chrome with black theme enabled

Follow these steps to enable the YouTube dark mode in Chrome on Mac. Make sure you're signed in to YouTube before performing the steps.
  1. Press the keyboard combination shortcut Option + Command + I to open the developer tools sidebar.
  2. Click the Console tab.
  3. Paste document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE" into the console and press enter.
  4. Close the developer tools sidebar and refresh the YouTube page.
  5. Click your YouTube profile picture, select Dark Mode from the dropdown, and toggle the switch to enable the mode.
Google Chrome is available to download for free on the Chrome website. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Dark Mode Surfaces in Latest Desktop Chrome Browser Update

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Netflix decided to go the other way on this one with insanely bright ads that wake you up if you fall asleep while Netflix is playing. I guess it may motivate people to turn their tv off though. But if not at least it'll make us groggy and grumpy.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
For those who just want to see what a dark mode would look like without jumping through a lot of hoops, I'd suggest adding the Chrome extension Magic Actions for Youtube. It does a dark mode that you can turn on and off by flipping a virtual light switch in the upper left corner (shout out to Scott Forstall and skeuomorphism:)). There are some fairly granular controls - which is nice - but a lot of them are check-boxed for you. I'd suggest going through and un-checking what you don't want to use. Easy to uninstall extension once you're done playing with it.

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Wow guys big news eh? I've literally been using dark mode and the new layout for 8 weeks now on Safari, even though it's been available for months now.

Just look up the code and give it into the java console...

Edit: Tada!
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 4.03.12 PM.png

Last edited:

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
As someone who extensively uses Safari, does anyone know if it'll ever come there or it'll be Chrome only :(

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
You're trolling, right?

Netflix doesn't have ads.
I'm referring to Netflix's new screensaver that advertises its original content. Now if I fall asleep watching Netflix, rather than dim the screen and turn on the Roku's black screened clock display, Netflix has it's own "screen-saver" that scrolls through still image ads for its shows.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/07/n...-its-tv-apps-to-promote-its-original-content/

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-screensaver-1202023450/

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017...ver-highlight-original-content/#.tnw_5X2ZAHjR

https://www.techiegamers.com/stream...o-its-tv-apps-to-display-original-programming

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Why can't Apple do something like this for safari? Make it optional under settings. I'm not a fan of night mode as it alters colors and hues.

NathanWind

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
North America
Ah…finally! Watching videos on YouTube and skimming comments is something I do mostly at night with tired eyes. The white screen blasting light into my face is something I prefer to forgo. Thumbs up to dark mode.

Reactions: Miguel Cunha

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow guys big news eh? I've literally been using dark mode and the new layout for 8 weeks now on Safari, even though it's been available for months now.

Just look up the code and give it into the java console...

Edit: Tada!
View attachment 696153

First, so you're saying this works in Safari, so it's not a "Chrome feature", but is a stylesheet sent to the browser when this cookie exists? Chrome does appear to be darkening the toolbar at the same time, though, eh?

Secondly, it's "JavaScript"... not the same as "Java". Those are two different languages. Just don't want people to get confused about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.