YouTube Dark Mode Surfaces in Latest Desktop Chrome Browser Update

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google appears to be testing a Dark Mode feature for YouTube in the latest version of its Chrome 57 desktop browser.

The built-in mode was discovered on Thursday and shared in a Reddit post, and while the setting doesn't appear by default, a quick command in the developer console is all that's required to enable it.

[​IMG]
    YouTube Dark Mode in Chrome with black theme enabled

Follow these steps to enable the YouTube dark mode in Chrome on Mac. Make sure you're signed in to YouTube before performing the steps.
    1. Press the keyboard combination shortcut Option + Command + I to open the developer tools sidebar.
    2. Click the Console tab.
    3. Paste document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE" into the console and press enter.
    4. Close the developer tools sidebar and refresh the YouTube page.
    5. Click your YouTube profile picture, select Dark Mode from the dropdown, and toggle the switch to enable the mode.
    Google Chrome is available to download for free on the Chrome website. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Dark Mode Surfaces in Latest Desktop Chrome Browser Update

2. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

It would be cooler if it only darkens when the video is playing and then lightens again when the video pauses or stops.

3. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It sticks after you logout, but not after a Chrome restart, I just tried with a new throwaway email address.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of dark mode, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless.

5. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Netflix decided to go the other way on this one with insanely bright ads that wake you up if you fall asleep while Netflix is playing. I guess it may motivate people to turn their tv off though. But if not at least it'll make us groggy and grumpy.

6. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

The UI on my YouTube app has gone from having red accents to white accents. Maybe future dark mode in app too?

7. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

I wish all websites and OSS were dark. Sick of burning my eyes on white screens

8. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

For those who just want to see what a dark mode would look like without jumping through a lot of hoops, I'd suggest adding the Chrome extension Magic Actions for Youtube. It does a dark mode that you can turn on and off by flipping a virtual light switch in the upper left corner (shout out to Scott Forstall and skeuomorphism:)). There are some fairly granular controls - which is nice - but a lot of them are check-boxed for you. I'd suggest going through and un-checking what you don't want to use. Easy to uninstall extension once you're done playing with it.

9. Dilster3k, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Wow guys big news eh? I've literally been using dark mode and the new layout for 8 weeks now on Safari, even though it's been available for months now.

Just look up the code and give it into the java console...

Edit: Tada!
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 4.03.12 PM.png

10. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

As someone who extensively uses Safari, does anyone know if it'll ever come there or it'll be Chrome only :(

11. Speechless macrumors 6502a

I've been using YouTube's dark mode in safari for weeks.

12. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Dude, how? I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me

13. DaPizzaMan macrumors regular

You're trolling, right?

Netflix doesn't have ads.

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Netflix doesn't have ads.

16. Te0SX macrumors regular

Te0SX

17. Howyalikdemapls, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

I'm referring to Netflix's new screensaver that advertises its original content. Now if I fall asleep watching Netflix, rather than dim the screen and turn on the Roku's black screened clock display, Netflix has it's own "screen-saver" that scrolls through still image ads for its shows.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/07/n...-its-tv-apps-to-promote-its-original-content/

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-screensaver-1202023450/

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017...ver-highlight-original-content/#.tnw_5X2ZAHjR

https://www.techiegamers.com/stream...o-its-tv-apps-to-display-original-programming

18. Speechless macrumors 6502a

It's part of YouTube's new interface.
    I wish I could be more of more help but I seriously just logged in one day and the interface was different (like when Twitter updates). There's an option there:

[​IMG]

19. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Why can't Apple do something like this for safari? Make it optional under settings. I'm not a fan of night mode as it alters colors and hues.

20. displayblock macrumors member

Because not all websites are created equal.
    [​IMG]

21. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

All aboard the dark mode train. Here's to hoping iOS 11 included.

22. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

And my brain.
    Everything should have a dark mode.
    White is good for paper.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2017 ---
    They could start by their own websites and try to make a trend, as they do with so many things.

23. NathanWind macrumors newbie

NathanWind

Ah…finally! Watching videos on YouTube and skimming comments is something I do mostly at night with tired eyes. The white screen blasting light into my face is something I prefer to forgo. Thumbs up to dark mode.

24. coolfactor macrumors 601

First, so you're saying this works in Safari, so it's not a "Chrome feature", but is a stylesheet sent to the browser when this cookie exists? Chrome does appear to be darkening the toolbar at the same time, though, eh?

Secondly, it's "JavaScript"... not the same as "Java". Those are two different languages. Just don't want people to get confused about that.