YouTube disabled fullscreen when accessed from the homepage!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RealSkyDiver, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I just noticed when you go to the YouTube website you can't enter videos in fullscreenmode anymore but instate the addressbar at the top and status bar of the video on the bottom are displayed all the time. Is this a major error? I sure as hell hope so because this means we'll have to use the yt app until this is fixed.

2. APlotdevice, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

There is no error I'm afraid. YouTube recently switched from using the native video player to their own HTML5 based one. As a result it no longer supports true fullscreen or aspect ratio cropping. (though on the plus side you can select the playback resolution now)

Regarding the YouTube app... Well, Apple is getting rid of it in iOS 6. Though Google will apparently be supplying their own to replace it.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

the youtube app is trash, and the fact that so many youtube apps aren't even allowed to be see on the ipad because it's listed as a mobile device, it makes iPad +youtube even more trash

4. kokhean macrumors regular

The only reason why I use it is to download YouTube videos using YourTube :D

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

Try protube is better

6. kokhean macrumors regular

A lot of people are telling me that. Here's a video that I've already made for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFbtKRW0DI

It's better and faster for me. I also have ProTube installed for blocked videos only.

7. Brandonlmbrt macrumors newbie

Surely there is some kind of work around. Anyone have any idea as far as info goes on the forth coming app? Release date, etc? You tube is a big reason for my ipad in the first place, and this change is super annoying.

8. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I'm still able to watch in full screen through AirPlay on my apple tv when I use the website not the app.

Not super annoying to me... Yet.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

@OP yeah, that gets on my nerves too. The best thing we can do right now is complain. I don't think its supposed to be like that. Gotta be a bug.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, it's not. Look at the video window. What you get now is completely different from the native one. With YouTube specific features. This was an intentional change by Google.

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

Does Protube require a jailbroken device?

12. kokhean macrumors regular

Yes.

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

What about the volume slider

Why did they remove that, i dont wanna press the volume button all the time

And the video quality only goes up to 720p

The ipad 3 can do 1080p

This sucks

I imagine the future ios youtube app is going to suck too

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

Now your going to get 5 second ads before a video starts

15. andsoitgoes macrumors member

This is bonkers. I thought I'd ignore it for a week and it would automagically get fixed... Figures I'm not that lucky. I've not wanted to JB my iPad again, but I guess thats my only choice.

Stupid YT. Seriously. And Apple, why do you have to go around always pissing in other companies' cornflakes every other day? I get it, you're gods but seriously.