Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Hi folks,

I'm getting this error message when trying to install youtube-dl:

Failed to create the file /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl: No such file or directory.

i'm using Mac OS 10.12.3 and Python 2.7.10

i typed in the exact command from the youtube-dl page -

sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

Just like that, all on one line. Do I need to create that folder manually?

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Thanks for your help, but I'm chatting with someone on an irc chat and I apparently have /usr/local/bin

echo "$PATH" gives me this:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

Does that mean I already have that folder? I don't want to try and remake the folder incase it messes up something. I understand I could do it via Homebrew, but I literally would be using Homebrew to install this one prog.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The folder may already exist, but it isn't possible to tell from your $PATH. Running the mkdir command won't hurt anything if the folder already exists. It'll only do something if it doesn't exist.

Reactions: bingefeller

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Thanks again, Intell. I got it working now following your commands. I wasn't doubting you, it's just that, as you can tell, I don't have a clue about the command line and don't want to mess anything up. I did install youtube-dl like this on my old MacBook Pro and it worked, but this is a clean install of Sierra so.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.