Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good YouTube downloader extension (preferably for Safari, but Chrome or Firefox extensions would be good too.) For a long time, i used FastestTube, but lately it maxes out at 720p resolution. Also, lately it has been also just redownloading the same video over and over....

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
As far as I am aware, none. YouTube changed the way it serves up 1080p content, in a way that most download helper programs are unable to resolve currently.

This happened recently, so if there is a workaround discovered, it may be a bit before it is out in the wild.

Comment

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Use ClickToFlash and it'll convert the videos to HTML5. Then you can right click and download any video in the resolution you selected for the video.

Comment

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Use ClickToFlash and it'll convert the videos to HTML5. Then you can right click and download any video in the resolution you selected for the video.

This.

clicktoflash
youtube5
and youtube settings changed to use html5.

between those 3, I never have any video I can't download in ANY resolution I want it in. 1080p included.

Edit:
840quadra is right.. I have always downloaded in 1080p before, I just went to youtube to take a screenshot of the 1080p showing.. and can't.
Hopefully there is a fix soon.
Google recently switched to adaptive streaming on YouTube for 480p and 1080p videos by using Media Source Extensions.
Mozilla is working on an update.. Hopefully Apple will follow with an update for Safari.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.