YouTube downloader extension that does 1080p?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ToddJ, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

Can anyone recommend a good YouTube downloader extension (preferably for Safari, but Chrome or Firefox extensions would be good too.) For a long time, i used FastestTube, but lately it maxes out at 720p resolution. Also, lately it has been also just redownloading the same video over and over....

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As far as I am aware, none. YouTube changed the way it serves up 1080p content, in a way that most download helper programs are unable to resolve currently.

This happened recently, so if there is a workaround discovered, it may be a bit before it is out in the wild.

3. drew627 macrumors regular

Use ClickToFlash and it'll convert the videos to HTML5. Then you can right click and download any video in the resolution you selected for the video.

4. TheBacklash, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

This.

clicktoflash
    youtube5
    and youtube settings changed to use html5.

between those 3, I never have any video I can't download in ANY resolution I want it in. 1080p included.

Edit:
    840quadra is right.. I have always downloaded in 1080p before, I just went to youtube to take a screenshot of the 1080p showing.. and can't.
    Hopefully there is a fix soon.
    Mozilla is working on an update.. Hopefully Apple will follow with an update for Safari.