YouTube downloader (TUBEMTE EQUIVALENT)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dk206, Dec 27, 2015.

1. dk206, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

dk206 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I've recently jumped ship from Android to iOS and been using the 6 plus for just over a year now.

My biggest problem with iOS (even with jailbreak)
    Is that I still have not found a decent enough YouTube downloader for iOS. Tubemate was the best thing since sliced bread for Android

I need to be able to download YouTube videos blazing fast, and save them so I can watch them offline using a video player.

I travel frequently due to work and like to watch them all offline on my phone as the reception is bad especially during the commute.

Jailbreak App: YouTube++ is buggy as hell... Downloading files over 1GB it does not let me save to camera roll or the stock Video app.
    It hangs a lot and sometimes fails to download to 100% :(

Let me know if you have any suggestions or alternatives. I'd most appreciate repsonses from those who have used Tubemate before.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ielessar macrumors regular

There was another jailbreak tweak called Cercube if I'm not mistaken. Embedded into the YouTube app. But it wasn't free.

3. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

4. dk206 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to buy these without knowing how reliable they are :S anyone used Cercube or Protube/Intube yet?

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Cercube does not work for me. Crashes YouTube within the first 30 seconds or launching everytime

Because of my issues with Cercube, I use YouTube++ but there are some issues with it. The biggest issue is that you have to visit the video page to download the video. previously, you could open up the menu and there would be a download button there. YouTube++ doesn't show download speed but I feel it is downloading really slow (probably needs an update). I still have it installed (just waiting for an update by the developer)

The UI for ProTube (Cydia version) is essentially the web version of youtube. I find that it works the best with downloading videos for offline view. However, it's very frustrating if you have a lot of videos you want to download all at once

Because it uses the web version, you have to visit the video's page to start downloading. When you navigate to the previous page, it essentially reloads it. So say for example, you want to download videos on your subscription page.

You visit video 1 and download. tap the back button and you'll be at the top of the page (page is refreshed).

rinse and repeat, you're at video 9, download. when you go back, you're at the top and have to scroll down to video 10+

For that reason, I don't use ProTube as much as I would like to. It is currently my to go method if I want to download videos for offline view (was previous YouTube++ when it was working properly)

6. dk206 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks dude helps a lot but on the other hand makes me feel sad....limitations of iOS

This literally is the ONLY feature I really need in order to truly dump Android and use iPhone as my primary smartphone :_(

7. thabronx31 macrumors member

cercube works great for me. use a file mngr to move the dl wherever you want. vlc to play it. or i just play it in the app.

8. dk206 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, how do you play from VLC? I have the app downloaded from the App Store but it can't detect my YouTube++ video files from my iPhone. I use iFile for file manager.

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

i think he means to move the video file from youtube++'s directory to vlc's data directory

you could also try a symlink of the youtube++/protube/etc cache folder to vlc's data directory. if that works, then it'll make it so much easier to play the videos (if you want to play using VLC)

10. ielessar macrumors regular

Cercube worked fine. Yes it crashed if it wasn't updated to support the latest version of the YouTube app.

11. thabronx31 macrumors member

yes, follow what darricksailo said.