YouTube downloader?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MYRZ, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MYRZ macrumors member

Hi guys,

I used to use Media Snap to download YouTube movies or music, but the app doesn't work anymore, and the softwaredeveloper doesn't update it anymore. So what do you use for downloading YouTube movies/music?

Thanx..

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I use the web based UI at vixy.net (adds a stupid banner to the end, but it doesnt bother me and I can always remove it with iMovie)

3. hodgeheg macrumors regular

RealPlayer 11 is a perfect solution for me. Much as I've generally hated Real's products, 11 is not evil, does not take over the world and your computer, and works beautifully. Install the Downloader agent when it asks you on installation, and then every time you watch a youtube video (works on most but not every flash site, but on more sites than any firefox plugin I've found) in either Safari or Firefox (don't know about other browsers) it runs and there's an unobtrusive dock icon and a window with a download link in it. If you click download it does just that, and saves it as a .flv with no quality loss as far as I can tell. And it's free.

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Clipnabber and this bookmark.

5. MattsxB macrumors member

6. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

The iCab web browser also has the ability to download YouTube videos. And since it uses WebKit as its rendering engine, its basically Safari with a ton of power user features.

7. technotask macrumors newbie

8. Matthew. macrumors regular

I use StreamClip, it can download youtube videos and export to quite a few different formats, including mp4 for iPod/iPhone compatability; as well as being able to trim or stitch videos which is a really helpful feature.

The download helper add-on for firefox can be used to download youtube videos as well, and while the initial download is quicker than the streamclip process; it will only save as an .flv file so will need further format coversion if you want to view the video on your iPod/iPhone.

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Easiest way to download a YouTube vid is to create a bookmark with the URL:

javascript:window.location.href%20=%20'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id='%20+%20swfArgs['video_id']%20+%20"&l="%20+%20swfArgs['l']%20+%20"&sk="%20+%20swfArgs['sk']%20+%20'&t='%20+%20swfArgs['t'];

Click on the bookmark when you on the page that contains the video you want to download and it will begin downloading to wherever your default location is.

You can then convert it with HandBrake or leave it as is.

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Interesting, no one mentioned tooble. Download and convert all in one click.