YouTube "Experts"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Now here's a guy who claims to be from a Computer Maintenance outfit showing the world how to do a fresh install of OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    But there are several flaws in his presentation,even though he claims this is not his first time with an Apple system.
    First he tries to install to a fat32 formatted HDD.
    Then he can't figure out how to repartition the HDD, insists on erasing it and erasing it and erasing it.
    Lastly he still has trouble with the partition table part. (Guid vs Apple partition map)

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Heheheh. I love watching these 'experts' :)

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That was painful.

I never even install Leopard anymore...I have a 10.5.8 image on my Xserve with all my preferences, normal apps, etc already set up, and I just restore that any time I need Leopard.

With that said, most of us here could do a Leopard install in our sleep.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Damn right, man. It takes me and every other Apple nerd literally seconds to do an OS X install.

That being said, those guys really need to first practice their knowledge before recording a video and claiming to be super-intelligent. That video was totally cringe-worthy.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

To be fair, the one time I installed 10.0 it was quite a battle and took me three tries before I could get it to complete without crashing the installer-but then 10.0 is a terrible piece of software and one would have to be a masochist to want to use it in the first place(I think there was a reason why 10.1 was offered as a free upgrade, especially since 10.0 was $130 when released).

Aside from that, installing Tiger or later on supported hardware is a piece of cake. Even some "hacks" like bypassing the processor speed check on a G4 to install Leopard really aren't difficult either. The only one I've really had trouble with recently was putting 10.9 on my Mac Pro 1,1, but now that I've done it I could repeat the process without much trouble.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sounds like the time I tried to install 10.2 on a beige G3. If I recall correctly, it utterly refused to boot from the CD and I ended up having to use XPostFacto to "trick" it into running the installer. I could then wipe the drive from Disk Utility (thereby wiping out XPF's tweaks) and install the OS; it would boot from the hard drive without problems but not the CD.

7. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

My favorite part was the registration part. He entered random info instead of just hitting Continue instead of Go Back. :p

8. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Back in the early OS X days some genius experts on YouTube installing pre-OS9.1 on either a Beige or B&W G3 went through the headache to reformat his HDD to HFS instead of HFS+... then ranted about it :eek:

During the early "Hackintosh" YouTube frenzy there were newbies disabling journaling claiming it was OS X DRM-ware of iTunes Fairplay *facepalm*

9. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

First factual inaccuracy occurs less than 17 seconds into the video... This will be good.

Although, to be fair, he did say it was his first time with a mac and we all have to start somewhere (and god forbid that somewhere involves reading other people's experiences)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We do, but personally if it's my first time doing something then I won't make a "how to" video about it. But on the other hand, I've never made a video about anything, so...

11. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

This is true, but hey, it's 2015 and King Content is capital

12. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Actually if you listen carefully he says "this isn't my first time".

13. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

:oops::(:oops::(:oops:

14. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Sounds like one of the guys from an apple store.

15. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I doubt they would even get this far.

Jeff: I can't install Leopard on my Power Mac

Apple Guy: Did you try restarting it?

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

17. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

When I become of age to work there, I will work there. The area we live in has plenty of Power Macs still used. Our university is just now getting rid of their 733MHz QSes in the computer lab.

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My college had a row of graphite cased G4s(I didn't know enough then to check the models) in the back of one computer lab. I used them regularly because they could print for free while the PCs charged you to print :)