Youtube: Failed (unable to convert video file) - Final Cut Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by D4rkShaDoWz, Mar 21, 2009.

1. D4rkShaDoWz macrumors member

I just made a HD video in Final Cut Express and I saved it directly as a .mov. It was a pretty big file but the quality was great. I uploaded it to Youtube and while it was processing, I got this message: Failed (unable to convert video file)

I checked the codec and it's using the Apple Intermediate one. I don't understand why this doesn't work. I tried exporting throught QT conversion but the quality looks horrendous.

Do you guys have any idea whats up? What should I export my videos to for maximum quality? What settings and codecs should I use? Thanks. :apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you used the Apple Intermediate Codec, the file is of course quite big, as it is a codec for editing purposes.

To distribute video clips it is not the "right" codec. Use .H263/4 as the codec to export your video to, and then upload this to YouTube. They even have changed their library to .H263/4, as this codec currently offers the best image quality/small size ratio.

If your video is 10 minutes long (the maximum time allowed, or not anymore?) your exported video should be around 100MB in size.

Search this forum or the world wide web for proper YouTube settings - even YouTube has some things to say in their FAQ.

3. UndertheRadar macrumors member

for youtube you can go up to a 1gb now. what i do is export out the biggest file i can using h264. then upload. i use anywhere between 1500 and 2000 for my bitrate depending on file size. youtube then does the conversion. remember garbage in garbage out