YouTube for iOS Gains Support for Lower Latency Chat and Live Streaming iPhone's Display

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube for iOS is gaining a new feature that will allow iPhone users to stream video directly from their device screen, reports TechCrunch.

This will allow YouTubers to stream iOS games and apps on their iPhones directly to YouTube without having to use the standalone YouTube gaming app.

[​IMG]

The screen-streaming feature has been available on Android for some time, but to implement it on iOS, YouTube needed to add support for the Apple ReplayKit API, which it has now done.

In addition to a feature for live streaming what's on the iPhone's screen, YouTube is also gaining lower latency streaming for better creator/watcher chat interactions and improved chat moderation tools.

YouTubers can quickly pause chat with a new keyboard shortcut and they can opt in to an automated chat moderation system that will cause YouTube to flag and hold potentially inappropriate messages until they can be reviewed.

YouTube says its new features are rolling out to users around the world today. The YouTube app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Gains Support for Lower Latency Chat and Live Streaming iPhone's Display

2. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

But I can block ads and have background audio using the Safari site so no thanks.

3. penguintheft macrumors newbie

penguintheft

It's good for Twitch to have competition, but I don't see YouTube winning out in the end

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Cool. YouTube keeps adding more things and becoming more convoluted that I just don't really use it anymore and I stay signed out of it. Google whatever video I'm looking for, play it, close it.

5. profets macrumors 601

6. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Think they disable the background from safari as I recall

7. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

YouTube has a far far bigger user base, better search presence, and is positioned better to win out. They could easily crush Twitch if they choose so.

8. ozthegweat macrumors regular

You have to give them some slack, they are too busy suing 3rd-party apps that provide those features.

9. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

You have to use desktop site, play the video and around 10 seconds exit fullscreen, then you can freely browse other tabs or apps and play the video on the background using CC.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Also Twitch is still sort of niche (nerd/gamer), whereas Youtube is more general public. Much higher potential for further penetration.

11. Unami macrumors 6502a

i wish they'd rather add pip functionality and bg-audio. not having those functions, but preventing 3rd party apps from providing them is a pretty a*s*o*e-move

12. DaveOP macrumors 65816

They really aren't the same thing. Youtube tried to emulate Twitch with Youtube Gaming, and it's bad and nobody uses it. Twitch is all live streams, gaming oriented, and keeps it simple. Twitch is also owned by Amazon now, so I am not so sure YouTube could crush them.

13. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

I can’t figure out how to stream my screen?

Edit: my update failed to download and I didn’t realise I was still using an old version.

Edit 2: still can’t figure it out...

14. Smartass macrumors 65816

How about adding background music feature? Nobody cares about these useless updates.

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah forgot about Amazon owning them, but I'm just talking about potential. Not saying it'll happen.

16. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

They could, but then there are fumbles like the "ad-pocolypse" that would worry me if I was a content creator on Youtube.

17. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Twitch is about to get filled with advertisements thanks to these announcements last week.

https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/69392-amazon-turns-twitch-into-an-influencer-sales-platform

Even with all the ads, YouTube is still attracting 1.3 billion users who are uploading 300 hours of video EVERY MINUTE, and watching almost 5 billion videos a day for a total of 3.25 billion hours of video watched per month.

18. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Except what happens with the ad-pocolypse is videos getting mysteriously flagged as being advertiser unfriendly, video-creators not getting paid, and video-creators not being able to figure out what they did wrong. It only gets worse when you're a content-creator who only uploads maybe once a month or less. If that scares enough people off of making youtube videos, Google loses in the end.

19. Rjjcvb macrumors member

You will need at least 100 subscribers.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/05/youtube-replaykit/

20. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

21. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Youtube actually started blocking background audio in safari a while ago.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2017 ---
    You are probably going to wait for a long time for that to ever make it into the app since background audio is available only for Youtube Red.

22. DaveOP macrumors 65816

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You just have to give Amazon $99 a year which has been shown to cause you to spend 4x more a year with them even though they've been shown to not be the cheapest option for most goods these days. So you're paying for the lack of ads right there.

And those are just little ads that would be blocked by any ad blocker which they remove. This new announcement is that Twitch will be giving streamers an incentive to try to push products on you. No need for ads when the stream you're watching is constantly linking you to Amazon products they suggest you buy. Amazon will make far more profit from selling a bunch of products than from selling a couple ads.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2017 ---
    And yet for all the doom and gloom you claim, creators are still going strong on YouTube. In fact, the current numbers show that none of the things you mentioned have had an impact on them and they're up month over month, on course for yet another year of 2x growth. Funny how that works.