YouTube for iOS Gains Support for Lower Latency Chat and Live Streaming iPhone's Display

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube for iOS is gaining a new feature that will allow iPhone users to stream video directly from their device screen, reports TechCrunch.

This will allow YouTubers to stream iOS games and apps on their iPhones directly to YouTube without having to use the standalone YouTube gaming app.

The screen-streaming feature has been available on Android for some time, but to implement it on iOS, YouTube needed to add support for the Apple ReplayKit API, which it has now done.

In addition to a feature for live streaming what's on the iPhone's screen, YouTube is also gaining lower latency streaming for better creator/watcher chat interactions and improved chat moderation tools.

YouTubers can quickly pause chat with a new keyboard shortcut and they can opt in to an automated chat moderation system that will cause YouTube to flag and hold potentially inappropriate messages until they can be reviewed.

YouTube says its new features are rolling out to users around the world today. The YouTube app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Gains Support for Lower Latency Chat and Live Streaming iPhone's Display

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
Cool. YouTube keeps adding more things and becoming more convoluted that I just don't really use it anymore and I stay signed out of it. Google whatever video I'm looking for, play it, close it.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Think they disable the background from safari as I recall
You have to use desktop site, play the video and around 10 seconds exit fullscreen, then you can freely browse other tabs or apps and play the video on the background using CC.

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
i wish they'd rather add pip functionality and bg-audio. not having those functions, but preventing 3rd party apps from providing them is a pretty a*s*o*e-move

DaveOP

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Also Twitch is still sort of niche (nerd/gamer), whereas Youtube is more general public. Much higher potential for further penetration.
They really aren't the same thing. Youtube tried to emulate Twitch with Youtube Gaming, and it's bad and nobody uses it. Twitch is all live streams, gaming oriented, and keeps it simple. Twitch is also owned by Amazon now, so I am not so sure YouTube could crush them.

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I can’t figure out how to stream my screen?

Edit: my update failed to download and I didn’t realise I was still using an old version.

Edit 2: still can’t figure it out...

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
They really aren't the same thing. Youtube tried to emulate Twitch with Youtube Gaming, and it's bad and nobody uses it. Twitch is all live streams, gaming oriented, and keeps it simple. Twitch is also owned by Amazon now, so I am not so sure YouTube could crush them.
Yeah forgot about Amazon owning them, but I'm just talking about potential. Not saying it'll happen.

Reactions: DaveOP

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
YouTube has a far far bigger user base, better search presence, and is positioned better to win out. They could easily crush Twitch if they choose so.
They could, but then there are fumbles like the "ad-pocolypse" that would worry me if I was a content creator on Youtube.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
They could, but then there are fumbles like the "ad-pocolypse" that would worry me if I was a content creator on Youtube.
Twitch is about to get filled with advertisements thanks to these announcements last week.

https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/69392-amazon-turns-twitch-into-an-influencer-sales-platform

Even with all the ads, YouTube is still attracting 1.3 billion users who are uploading 300 hours of video EVERY MINUTE, and watching almost 5 billion videos a day for a total of 3.25 billion hours of video watched per month.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Twitch is about to get filled with advertisements thanks to these announcements last week.

https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/69392-amazon-turns-twitch-into-an-influencer-sales-platform

Even with all the ads, YouTube is still attracting 1.3 billion users who are uploading 300 hours of video EVERY MINUTE, and watching almost 5 billion videos a day for a total of 3.25 billion hours of video watched per month.
Except what happens with the ad-pocolypse is videos getting mysteriously flagged as being advertiser unfriendly, video-creators not getting paid, and video-creators not being able to figure out what they did wrong. It only gets worse when you're a content-creator who only uploads maybe once a month or less. If that scares enough people off of making youtube videos, Google loses in the end.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
But I can block ads and have background audio using the Safari site so no thanks.
Youtube actually started blocking background audio in safari a while ago.
[doublepost=1504678434][/doublepost]
How about adding background music feature? Nobody cares about these useless updates.
You are probably going to wait for a long time for that to ever make it into the app since background audio is available only for Youtube Red.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, but Twitch is ad-free if you have Amazon Prime, so no worries there.
You just have to give Amazon $99 a year which has been shown to cause you to spend 4x more a year with them even though they've been shown to not be the cheapest option for most goods these days. So you're paying for the lack of ads right there.

And those are just little ads that would be blocked by any ad blocker which they remove. This new announcement is that Twitch will be giving streamers an incentive to try to push products on you. No need for ads when the stream you're watching is constantly linking you to Amazon products they suggest you buy. Amazon will make far more profit from selling a bunch of products than from selling a couple ads.
[doublepost=1504720050][/doublepost]
Except what happens with the ad-pocolypse is videos getting mysteriously flagged as being advertiser unfriendly, video-creators not getting paid, and video-creators not being able to figure out what they did wrong. It only gets worse when you're a content-creator who only uploads maybe once a month or less. If that scares enough people off of making youtube videos, Google loses in the end.
And yet for all the doom and gloom you claim, creators are still going strong on YouTube. In fact, the current numbers show that none of the things you mentioned have had an impact on them and they're up month over month, on course for yet another year of 2x growth. Funny how that works.