Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube for iOS has been updated today with Google Cardboard support, allowing for all videos to be watched in VR mode on iPhone. The functionality was previously limited to the YouTube app on Android smartphones since November 2015.

YouTube-Google-Cardboard.jpg

To activate Cardboard mode, tap on the three circles in the top-right corner of a video and select the Cardboard icon. The video will then switch to an immersive VR experience, even if it was not originally filmed in a full 360 degrees.

YouTube-iOS-Google-Cardboard-duo-1.jpg

YouTube for iOS is a free download on the App Store [Direct Link]. The app is now at version 11.18.

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Now Supports Google Cardboard

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
VR needs something in the middle...

Either you can get the $900 Vive which requires you to connect to a computer with an expensive GPU, or you can get the nearly free Cardboard which works with your existing smartphone, but works about as well as you would expect for a free product.

Surely I can get higher quality than the Cardboard without being as expensive as the Vive?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Either you can get the $900 Vive which requires you to connect to a computer with an expensive GPU, or you can get the nearly free Cardboard which works with your existing smartphone, but works about as well as you would expect for a free product.

Surely I can get higher quality than the Cardboard without being as expensive as the Vive?
You can take a small but noticeable step up to the Mattel View-Master VR.

Mike

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nice! The street view app is also pretty cool with a good Cardboard headset. Viewmaster's is a nice plastic unit for cheap, FWIW.

Prices will improve with time. It's a new area aimed at early adopters right now.

The "middle" option I have my eye on is a PlayStation 4.5 + VR later this year. Still not cheap but it includes some extra value like a bluray player.

Although if Vive comes through with the announced Mac native support, that would be cool.

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Good to add card board support.
But when can I reply a comment without PLAYING VIDEO? Metered data cannot sustain a lot.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015

Actually, no you can't.

Either you've got your image rendered by your phone or by a powerful PC.

You can have some more comfortable holder for your phone - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Goog..._1&btsid=e19ac263-97ac-431d-a19b-50ebec005ed7

But the image quality, frame rate, will still be just as good as your phone produces.

What you are asking, is some transition to transition. Just beg Apple to give at least 1080p (to a smaller one) and 4K in a bigger one so that the image and screen put close to your eye look better. That's why Samsung and other bumped up the screen resolution so hard.

I personally can't imagine something in the middle. The hardware and software would unnecessarily overlap. Because what would they fit in a VR headset size set? Another Qualcomm processor, some plastic glass, and another platform to write and distribute apps for it... oh, so there must be a wifi or bluetooth module as well. These components are already in your smartphone. Now they will get just better and faster every year to render 4k minimum 60fps+ 360 degrees images (in game), or just capable of playback (for videos).

MysteryMii215

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2016
NYC area
Well it's about time! I had a Cardboard viewer since December (it was one of those Star Wars ones), and I was bummed about YouTube not being supported with Cardboard on iOS.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
In theory this actually sounds pretty cool. Has anyone here tried it? I wonder if it has any long-term negative effects on eye sight.
I bought one 2 years ago for my Nexus 5. It's really cool and works great. One downside is that the cheap ones don't have a head strap or something like that, so you have to constantly hold it with your hands.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why would you watch non-360 content with a Google Cardboard?

It simulates a very big screen in front of you, even for generic 2D content. Kind of fun. (And other content can be right in front of you yet stereoscopic—like the 3D in a movie theater. Hard to find on YouTube—I stumbled into one with stereo, but VR-related search terms don't seem to be very useful.)

These are great news, but the current iPhone's resolution is still to low for VR.

Nope—it works.

What about Gear VR?

Very similar to Cardboard, and a nicely made unit, especially when they give them away for free. But SO similar to a strapped Cardboard headset, and limited to a single phone model (which is not an iPhone), that paying full price for it and waiting for it to be obsolete when you get your next phone is just not a good deal.

It does have a slide control instead of only a button, but either way you're holding your head to use the controls—and I question the long-term developer support for the slider. So, better to put your hands down and use a Bluetooth controller. Then you really may as well just use Cardboard for $10–$20.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010

YouTube for iOS has been updated today with Google Cardboard support, allowing for all videos to be watched in VR mode on iPhone. The functionality was previously limited to the YouTube app on Android smartphones since November 2015.

YouTube-Google-Cardboard.jpg

To activate Cardboard mode, tap on the three circles in the top-right corner of a video and select the Cardboard icon. The video will then switch to an immersive VR experience, even if it was not originally filmed in a full 360 degrees.

YouTube for iOS is a free download on the App Store [Direct Link]. The app is now at version 11.18.

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Now Supports Google Cardboard
[doublepost=1463438113][/doublepost]I love that MR used Casey Neistat!

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I don't care about cardboard support.

THEY FINALLY updated the app so that when you adjust the volume, it doesn't pop up on the screen :D:D:D

Stalwart

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
I bought one 2 years ago for my Nexus 5. It's really cool and works great. One downside is that the cheap ones don't have a head strap or something like that, so you have to constantly hold it with your hands.
Absence of strap is by design, to prevent user from moving head too fast and exposing latency issues

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I think you're describing Gear VR.
[doublepost=1463537437][/doublepost]Heads up, this doesn't work on iPad mini. Only iPhone.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Have fun with Google cardboard iphone users...seems like this will be your only virtual reality source for the next few years while androids users will be using the new daydream vr that comes out later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.