YouTube for music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pattman247, Jun 24, 2009.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

I can't believe this isn't as widely discussed, but how many of you iPhone users use YouTube as one of your sources of playing music on the go. Imeem,last.fm, and pandora don't give you the luxury of selecting the
    exact song you desire, well youtube does. What I do is I pick the song i want then press the ringer switch, turning off the screen, then I press play on the remote and bang, YouTube music without the video feed, I'm sure this technique cuts down on the battery life wasted, but by how much, what do you guys think, and tell me this is a great way of accesssing your favorite tunes.

2. Killquake macrumors member

Youtube sound quality is usually really bad compared to the itunes stuff...

and it usually pauses it when i put the phone in lock... not to mention the battery. I did think it was a good idea at the time when i first got the phone but it seems like they dont want you to by pausing it when you lock it

3. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

So based on your experience how did the battery hold up using this method?

4. Killquake macrumors member

I can't really speak long term, but for the few songs I tried doing it, it wasn't like it was eating up battery horribly, but you could tell it was using it a bit faster than the iPod, due to the fact I had to leave the screen on.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If you really want to save some battery life just put the music you want to hear right on your iphone. I see threads like this all the time with people complaining about battery usage when they are streaming music. Your iphone is also an ipod, use it.

6. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

I know it is, but to me this would be an amazing plus. And I can turn the screen off with YouTube, thereby saving battery life even more.

7. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

It's their phone let them use it the way they want...he/she is just letting us know the option that is out there...relax man....

8. Jamz00 macrumors member

I do this all the time and it's one of the reason I got a 16gig instead of a 32. There's probably only 5 gigs of music I really want to hear on a weekly basis so if I want to hear a song I don't have on my phone I could just youtube it and have it immediately. Works out perfectly.

9. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

I can say that after today's iPhone usage which included using youtube for music the battery life surprisingly help up pretty well. This seems like a great thing :)