Youtube HD on Apple TV 3.0?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wrkngclasshero, Nov 6, 2009.

1. wrkngclasshero macrumors regular

wrkngclasshero

I thought I saw something about watching Youtube HD videos on the :apple:TV using the 3.0 software but I don't know where to enable this option. Has anybody heard of this feature, and if it does exist, do you know how to turn it on?

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think you just have to find videos that contain an HD version.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

I had not found that to be the case as there had been several HD vids that I was excited to watch on ATV in HD (U2 concert snippets from Europe I have watched online...look superb, but only marginal on ATV).

My biggest problem in the last couple of day has been I no longer have the ability to search for YouTube videos. Anyone else have this issue?

It just spins and spins and spins with nothing coming up.

Also, when I go back to History I can play maybe 60% of the content in that list, the rest give me the "AppleTV cannot play this type of content" error. I cannot access 'recent' or 'popular' items either.

Anyone else having YouTube issues? it worked flawlessly after the 3.0 upgrade. I still can stream content like online radio and trailers, but YouTube is a major issue that had just come about maybe 3 days ago.

4. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I've been having issues with YouTube HD videos on the Apple TV for a couple of months now. After the 3.0 release, I recall watching YouTube HD videos that looked great on the Apple TV, and although I'm being told otherwise by folks in other forums, I could've sworn that the little HD logo would show up next to videos in the list view that were in HD. All of that seems to have disappeared in recent months. Videos that I'm certain are in HD are looking really blocky and decidedly low-def on the Apple TV. Most if not all of YouTube's 720p mp4 files can be downloaded and easily synced to the Apple TV, so it's easy to compare. I don't expect the quality of a streaming movie on YouTube over the Apple TV to necessarily be the same as one playing from the hard drive, but it should at least be close.

Or... maybe I'm just crazy and they never really looked even close to HD-quality??? :D

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

I do now, indeed see HD videos in the list. As opposed to my previous posting.

I don't recall seeing an HD logo in the list, but there are definitely HD videos available for display on ATV through YouTube.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Google owns YouTube. Apple & Google's friendship is fading.