Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Okay, lately I've been reading about how Youtube is going through an overhaul, and while there aren't any big changes yet, I noticed that I can no longer select the "Watch this video in higher quality" option on any videos. At first I thought it was because people stopped caring about super HD videos just for YT, but when I went back to some videos I know had the option before, the option was no longer there. It was not under the video, it was not on a pop-up menu. Adding &fmt=18/6 does not work. Did YT do something that I missed? Or is something wacky with my browser/connection?

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
but when I went back to some videos I know had the option before, the option was no longer there. It was not under the video, it was not on a pop-up menu. Adding &fmt=18/6 does not work.
^

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
It could just be temporarily. I have the option to pick HQ or HD for all my subscriptions and I can do it for my videos and all my subscribers can too. Odd/

followme

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Japan
Go to your Account settings (click "Account" at the top.

Choose "Playback Setup" on the left side.

Make sure that you've selected:

I have a fast connection. Always play higher-quality video when it's available.

That should help when the video doesn't properly display "HD/HQ"

BTW, YouTube's HD/HQ feature is still buggy and has problems.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Can you please give me a link to a video you know is currently available in HD or "Higher Quality." If at all possible, could attach a screen of what the display looks like to you? Just so I can see what you're seeing as well, so I can compare.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 63

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe YouTube is dropping the low quality versions, making the choice unnecessary?

If you go into your settings, there's an option to play all videos available in HQ in HQ by default. Saves you having to click "Watch in HQ" every time. :)

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I have no option to watch that video in HD. Not on the bar, not on the little pop-up menu, not next to the view count. In addition to losing the HD option, I also can no longer view videos in higher detail at the same resolution ("Watch this is video in higher quality"). I have already checked the always play at highest quality button in the profile page, but I used to be able to view HD and HQ without even being logged in. I have AT&T high speed DSL, so there's no connection issue. I'm running 10.3.9, so I have back versions of Firefox and Safari as well as Macromedia Flash. Could that be the problem?

Attachments

• nohd.jpg
    nohd.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 49

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes. I think your problem is that you're running 10.3.9. Since you're running that, your Mac might not be able to handle hd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.