Youtube HD Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chad H, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I haven't posted on Macrumors in awhile so I hope everyone had a Happy New Year! My friend and I are starting a video podcast to speak about Auburn Tiger football and we have started uploading them to youtube. We did our introduction last night and I used iMovie 08. My camera that I have purchased is a Canon HF20 HD camcorder. Now, I imported it using the highest and I noticed when I exported the video it didn't give an option for HD and severly downgraded the quality. Does anyone know how I can get the true HD on youtube? I have trim the clips a little but nothing to major. Quality is just the biggest issue for me at the moment. I didn't know what software would be best for this situation. Also my computer in my signature, an '08 octo Mac Pro. Thanks for any advice you can give me guys! :)

-Chad

2. Jelite macrumors 6502a

You'll want to export with Quicktime not export movie, you can then manually change settings to get HD 1280x720.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Check your iMovie Preferences. There's a setting near the bottom - "Import 1080i video as:". Make sure it says "Full - 1920x1080" and not "Large - 960x540".

Also, keep in mind that YouTube HD spec is 720p (1280x720), so you'll want to export your final project as 720p (H.264 codec is fine), otherwise YouTube will scale the video down automatically, which can yield varying results.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

YouTube HD now allows full 1080. You will have to manually export, then use YouTube's web uploader, though.

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

How do you manually export the video though?

I will try quicktime when I get home. That sounds like its going to work.

6. Jelite macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

You can change all the settings for codec, resolution, quality from there.

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

We have uploaded several clips in HD to Youtube simply by using the Share...Youtube presets.

Maybe I had no issues because I am using iMovie 9 and you are using iMovie 8? You might want to consider upgrading because it really is an easy process. My wife did the uploads and I can't imagine she jumped through any hoops to get it to be HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyLhylHZmJ8

This is an example of us in the Building Museum in Washington DC...using a FlipHD camera. Again, just 'Share'd using iMovie.

8. Jelite macrumors 6502a

You are correct, 08 doesnt have the HD presets.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What settings do you guys use on iMovie 09 for Youtube 1080p. I have tried exporting to 1920X1080 but when I upload to youtube, the 1080p viewing option just doesn't show up.

HD option shows up but 1080p.

10. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

This what I am wondering. Also I have friend that has Final Cut Studio 3 that I can use. I'm assuming it has all HD options for exporting?:)

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Again...using iMovie9 I think it handles everything for you when you Share to YouTube....not export to Quicktime and then upload...just go to the Share menu and go to the Youtube dropdown and choose the highest quality option if there is one (I'm not at home and don't remember what options there are).

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good thread! I've been wondering the same thing. So, just exporting through Quicktime will do the trick?

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

In iMovie 9 you just Share to Youtube....no exporting to Quicktime. No muss, no fuss.

Youtube gets an HD movie and you get happiness!:D

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not using that version though. That's why I asked. ;)

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

Can't you upgrade? It's worth it! :D

16. xStep macrumors 68000

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't want to. I like the timeline in iMovie HD. When they did away with that, iMovie started to suck, IMO.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Exporting to Youtube with 720p is a no brainer using its export feature, but I would like to know how to export my videos in 1080p format.

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

To export in full 1080 you need to export using quicktime. You need to use these settings in the menu. [​IMG]

20. mstrze macrumors 68000

I didn't like that at first either, now I have trouble going back. I really like the new way iMovie is laid out honestly...and the ability to have all the clips stored anywahere on the computer availabele is really nice. I still remember having only the clips available within each project that were imported. I can't imagine doing it that way now, especially since I have been continually importing my MiniDV tapes onto an external drive.

To each his own though. I find that for a quick 720p upload to Youtube, iMovie9 makes it extremely simple and for that and the ability to Share to AppleTV/iTunes easily I would much rather have version 9.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just can't get used to working in the new one. I've tried. I just can't deal without the timeline.

22. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Agree!!!

Glad I'm not alone on this.

But I did upgrade to iMovie 09. :rolleyes: