iPhone Youtube High Quality over 3g(4g)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bbafett, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bbafett macrumors regular

How can I get the youtube app on ios 6 to play High quality youtube videos instead of low res when I am on 4g instead of wifi? I have the youtube app and 3g Unrestrictor but it doesn't seem to change anything on it even after adding the app to the list that 3g Unrestrictor will alter.

Am I missing a step to this? I know the video is hi res b/c I can connect to wifi and instantly see a higher quality on the exact same video. The only way I know to get around this is to select HQ on the youtube mobile page and access youtube through there instead of the stand alone app.

Let me know what I am missing.

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I just checked on Cydia and there is a screenshot on "YouTube Settings," perhaps you can tap the app on the unrestricted list?

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Go onto your youtube settings on the computer and select always play highest quality available, and the setting for the same on mobile devices

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

where do you enable this on the iPhone?

5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I use ProTube to accomplish this. HD video over cellular connection.

6. Bbafett thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried Protube 2 and kept getting errors every time I tried to get a video to load. Still didn't have high quality videos. What is the trick. I don't think it should be this difficult to get high quality videos over 3g.

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I'm not sure. I use the original ProTube and not ProTube 2. Sorry but I can't help you there.

8. Bbafett thread starter macrumors regular

Protube 1 is just basically like the Youtube mobile webpage. I guess that is the only option and to not use the youtube app at all.

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Maybe. I'm not too sure and not the best person to ask. I prefer ProTube over the YouTube app anyways. Good luck! Let us know what works.

10. nednarm macrumors 6502

I'd like to know about this too. I'm also using 3g unrestrictor and it doesn't seem to affect the quality at all. I wouldn't have thought it would be very hard to trick the youtube app in to thinking it's on wifi but I guess it is?