YouTube HTML5 player not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sven11, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

YouTube's HTML5 player does not work for me at the moment. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

I am not going to install a crapware called Flash player.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Works fine for me.
    You do realize that not all YouTube content is available via HTML5? You still need Flash for some content.

3. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most videos work. YouTube should upgrade the other ones soon.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think HTML5 video is broken anyway with that stupid full screen aka single app mode.
    Every browser that uses that basically blocks the other monitor when you watch full screen. Save Safari but if Safari can do it why not all the others.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree, the HTML5 player is very spotty. I disabled the HTML5 beta and have been using this extension. It works well and has the benefit of playing HTML5 on embedded YouTube videos and not just those on the main YouTube site. Much better solution.

6. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Yup, that is a wonderful extension! Saves on battery life and the mouse disappears instead of staying visible. :D

7. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For me it does not work either. Even the thumbnails on the video page do not appear anymore.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you disable the HTML5 trial first? I am not seeing this problem with the extension.

9. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I can't believe YouTube still has flash in there... It's complete crapware. I'm not surprised that Adobe abandoned flash on mobile.

11. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Crapware or not, for me it's the only option that works worth a crap. My experience with the html5 implementation is beyond crapware. It does play the videos in html5, but barely - lots of pausing, buffering .. just terrible performance. So bad it drove me back to flash

12. stchman macrumors 6502a

Just install Flash. YouTube works far better with Flash than HTML5 at the moment.

Contrary to what Apple propaganda spouts, Flash is not evil and will not burn your computer.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I can attest to that. HTML5 players create more load, perform worse, are unresponsive and offer rudimentary functionality.
    HTML5 is crapware because nobody got around to build any decent player for it yet on desktop OS.

Flash may need an insane amount of cpu compared to a VLC video but it is still way better than HTML5. There is a reason HTML5 video on the web is still scarce or optional and when optional the less preferred solution.

14. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Seems like this depends entirely on the implementation. Using ClickToPlugin to play YouTube videos via QuickTime (rather than the HTML5 site) allows the aging MacBook 1,1 I’ve been using the last few days to play HD videos smoothly. (720p smooth at all times, 1080p smooth fullscreen but not scaled down to fit in the page)

Flash on the other hand, struggles with 480p. The video plays smoothly, but the CPU load is higher than playing back 1080p via QuickTime. 720p or 1080p are completely unplayable in Flash.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I suppose on old hardware GPU acceleration in Flash is limited. On the OSX plattform there have only been a limited amount of APIs to help enable GPU acceleration. It even took a while for the new Intel GPUs to get it while Nvidia worked sooner.

In my experience on Windows and OSX in various browsers. HTML5 is at least as bad in most cases worse than Flash.
    It works smooth enough over everything on my 2010 MBP but I don't see the least indication for HTML5 being any better. It is buggy with jumping around in many videos and on a 2010 MBP takes even in Safari just as many CPU power. In Chrome and Opera more.

If I could load the VLC streaming engine instead of a default player that would help things. VLC supports streaming and jumping around and always needed less speed for any of it.

It is also a non debatable fact that the HTML5 player doesn't hold a candle to the current youtube Flash version in functionality. Not only is it less buggy you have also more control in skipping around.
    I don't get it html5 trial on youtube doesn't exist since yesterday. Support in browsers is also rather universal (old IE7 is down to some 3%) now. Whatever /Wherever the problem is; it should have been fixed by now. It is only a video player and it is not as if the wheel needs to be reinvented only integrated with the browser.

16. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

If you have GPU acceleration, you probably are better off using the Flash site, but if you don’t want Flash on your machine (and I can understand why people would not) or have older hardware that does not support GPU acceleration, HTML5 is a better solution.

And while HTML5 players are less featured, leaving out things like annotations etc. I actually prefer that. I just want to see the video.