Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horacescu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
it does't work now ☹️ (is starting music from playlist)
does anyone knows solution?
Thx

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
A final and much clumsier alternative: open a YouTube video through Safari and press the home button. Then swipe up and press Play. It's not the best workaround as you can't use Safari while the audio plays, but it's something. Not sure if it works with playlists.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Just an aside, if you watch a lot of YouTube, the Red subscription is worth it. No more ads, native background audio, and it also includes Google Play and its ginormous music library.

It's gotten to the point that if I'm not logged in for some reason and an ad plays on YouTube I get annoyed and surprised.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
This hasn't worked for years since iOS 5's YouTube app but yeah there are many workarounds.
-Get YouTube Red
-Use Safari or another browser
-Install a 3rd party YouTube app/music player

A final and much clumsier alternative: open a YouTube video through Safari and press the home button. Then swipe up and press Play. It's not the best workaround as you can't use Safari while the audio plays, but it's something. Not sure if it works with playlists.
Not the case anymore in iOS 10, you can minimize the video player and open a new tab.

Edit: I understand now, YouTube is getting rid of the browser option, you'll have to go with one of the other workarounds instead.

Last edited:

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
This hasn't worked for years since iOS 5's YouTube app but yeah there are many workarounds.
-Get YouTube Red
-Use Safari or another browser
-Install a 3rd party YouTube app/music player

Not the case anymore in iOS 10, you can minimize the video player and open a new tab.

Edit: I understand now, YouTube is getting rid of the browser option, you'll have to go with one of the other workarounds instead.

I feel like you aren't understanding what he's asking. Until today you could open up YouTube in a safari tab, play a video and have it play in the background while you browsed in another tab.

But today it went away. There are people on Reddit and twitter talking about it. Very annoying as I use it to sleep.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I feel like you aren't understanding what he's asking. Until today you could open up YouTube in a safari tab, play a video and have it play in the background while you browsed in another tab.

But today it went away. There are people on Reddit and twitter talking about it. Very annoying as I use it to sleep.
Indeed. Didn't you see the edit at the end of my post?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I thought it was a bug but looks like it's a "feature" on Google's end.
Well, I can rely on Apple Music anyway. **** Google.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
By the way I think I may have found another way to get it to work in Safari. Google probably shouldn't be doing this anyway, not everyone even has YouTube Red available in their country.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
By the way I think I may have found another way to get it to work in Safari. Google probably shouldn't be doing this anyway, not everyone even has YouTube Red available in their country.
What's your other way.

And no I'm sorry I didn't see your edit earlier.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Use the desktop YouTube site instead of the mobile one.

Seems to be hit or miss. Some videos it works and others it doesn't unfortunately...
I found an app called "Tube" that's free, has no ads, runs in the background, allows you to download, and seems pretty good. Few annoyances but I can live with it for free.

Reactions: Paddle1

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Seems to be hit or miss. Some videos it works and others it doesn't unfortunately...
I found an app called "Tube" that's free, has no ads, runs in the background, allows you to download, and seems pretty good. Few annoyances but I can live with it for free.
Just downloaded it, definitely seems like a much less annoying app than the other free ones I've used. More features too. The horizontal interface takes some getting used to though.

Reactions: nmeed

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Just downloaded it, definitely seems like a much less annoying app than the other free ones I've used. More features too. The horizontal interface takes some getting used to though.
I'm super confused. Just downloaded the tube app and everything is pitch black. No videos shown on screen at all. How do you use this application?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Yep it's that one. All back to normal overnight but thanks though. Just out of curiosity do you know of any similar apps. Even ones that are paid?
Not really, there are other ones I've seen that have in-app purchases to remove ads but not with as many features as this one has. It looks like there are a lot to choose from on the App Store though.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Not really, there are other ones I've seen that have in-app purchases to remove ads but not with as many features as this one has. It looks like there are a lot to choose from on the App Store though.

Well thanks for the help! Atleast I have one way to get around youtube greed in the meantime.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015

You're going to think I'm a real nut but I wanted to share something interesting that's happening with my Tube app. I'm in iPad Air 2, everything updated to the max etc.

The app does not work at night.... the app shows videos just fine during the day but around 6pm the app goes blank.... it doesn't show any videos. A couple reviews are complaining of the same thing. I have never encountered a problem this odd before lol. Are you using on IPhone? I hope it's fixed soon.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You're going to think I'm a real nut but I wanted to share something interesting that's happening with my Tube app. I'm in iPad Air 2, everything updated to the max etc.

The app does not work at night.... the app shows videos just fine during the day but around 6pm the app goes blank.... it doesn't show any videos. A couple reviews are complaining of the same thing. I have never encountered a problem this odd before lol. Are you using on IPhone? I hope it's fixed soon.
Really? Mine was blank the other day too as well as last night and I reinstalled and couldn't get it to work. I just tried now in the daytime and it's working! Very strange. I'm using the app on my iPod touch.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Really? Mine was blank the other day too as well as last night and I reinstalled and couldn't get it to work. I just tried now in the daytime and it's working! Very strange. I'm using the app on my iPod touch.

See?!!! Try it again at night and see if it works and I bet it won't. I now count three reviews that mention this "night bug". Literally the strangest bug I've seen on a app lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.