MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) that YouTube is in discussions with several major movie studios to bring streaming movie rentals to the service.
YouTube is talking to Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., Sony Corp., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. and Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. about charging for new titles on the existing YouTube site. In some cases, these titles might be available on the site on the same day that they come out on DVD.
Sources note that movies would likely be priced at approximately $3.99, comparable to movie rentals through Apple's iTunes Store. While details of the potential agreements reportedly vary from studio to studio, some agreements could allow for free, ad-supported distribution of movies.

It is unclear when the service would be publicly launched, although YouTube is reportedly planning a three-month testing period involving about 10,000 Google employees. That testing period was to begin early this month, but longer-than-expected negotiations with the movie studios involved have pushed the start of testing back by an undetermined amount.

Apple introduced iTunes movie rentals in the U.S. in January 2008 and has added offerings in several other countries since that time. High-definition movie rentals debuted on the Apple TV at the same time and were extended on a limited basis to the iTunes Store in March of this year.

Article Link: YouTube in Discussions to Offer Movie Rentals From Major Studios

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Next from Google:

GoogleTunes

GoogleBook/GoogleBook Pro

Something made by Apple, but we're not trying to copy them. We're just a humble search company that is slowly expanding our internet empire.

Don

Comment

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Call me old-fashioned but I'd rather rend a $1 DVD from RedBox and watch extra features along with the motion picture. YouTube rentals? No thanks.

Comment

Jamo12

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Yet another way for Apple to make money. I'm so happy they do that stuff or else we wouldn't get such great products.
But nothing beats renting an actual DVD

Comment

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
I don't want them to clutter YouTube up even more with unnecessary movie streaming rentals.
There are plenty of places to do this already, no?

Comment

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Call me old-fashioned but I'd rather rend a $1 DVD from RedBox and watch extra features along with the motion picture. YouTube rentals? No thanks.

Agreed, although my poison of choice is Blockbuster Online.

Yet another way for Apple to make money. I'm so happy they do that stuff or else we wouldn't get such great products.
But nothing beats renting an actual DVD

How does Apple benefit from this? Google owns YouTube? This could actually hurt Apple.

Don

Comment

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
great;
I get enough hanging while watching 5 min UToob videos as it is-and Im on DSL they had better massively increase the size of the server farm

Comment

zachwill

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
The only way this will work is paying for movies not out on DVD yet and having advertising during movies that are already out on DVD.

Comment

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
great;
I get enough hanging while watching 5 min UToob videos as it is-and Im on DSL they had better massively increase the size of the server farm

Ding! Youtube has the slowest servers, maybe it's all the traffic but google can afford to increase that cant' they? I've learned that it doesn't matter your connection, it's hard to start a clip on youtube and have it finish without a stutter.

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

x2. Add Netflix to that, too.

Much, much cheaper, much, much more selection, and 90% of them has subtitles/closed captioning!

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Wow. Google just wants to have their hand in every pie. Now, I'm even happier Schmidt left Apple's board.

Comment

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Next from Google:

GoogleTunes

GoogleBook/GoogleBook Pro

Something made by Apple, but we're not trying to copy them. We're just a humble search company that is slowly expanding our internet empire.

Don
I honestly wouldn't mind a GoogleTunes. I don't see how that is copying Apple. I don't see them making a GoogleBook.

On topic. I don't see myself buying/renting anything on YouTube. Others might but if I want to watch movies I go to the theater or rent them on on-demand.

Comment

chewbaccacabra

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
This doesn't sound like a good idea. When I think of Youtube I think of grainy low quality videos with bad sound. Not Hollywood blockbusters. They would never be my goto place to rent a $4 movie.:rolleyes:

Comment

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Apple introduced iTunes movie rentals in the U.S. in January 2008 and has added offerings in several other countries since that time. High-definition movie rentals debuted on the Apple TV at the same time and were extended on a limited basis to the iTunes Store in March of this year.

Has anyone been trying out the Apple Itunes video rental? I've been looking for a movie streaming rental service that is quick and simple to use.

Comment

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
you tube is just annoying now.. more crap then anything useful and could you imagine all the stupid/ annoying adds in the movie... no thank you. I rather watch a good movie on my blu ray dvd player, 42' HD tv

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
you tube is just annoying now.. more crap then anything useful and could you imagine all the stupid/ annoying adds in the movie... no thank you. I rather watch a good movie on my blu ray dvd player, 42' HD tv

The only way this will work is paying for movies not out on DVD yet and having advertising during movies that are already out on DVD.

I am a film maker and I am ABSOLUTELY ANTI commercials in movies. MAN.... Talk about a perfect way to RUIN the vision I am trying to convey! Please don't ever let that happen! :rolleyes: :mad:

This doesn't sound like a good idea. When I think of Youtube I think of grainy low quality videos with bad sound. Not Hollywood blockbusters. They would never be my goto place to rent a $4 movie.:rolleyes:

If they did it, YouTube would really need to make some changes and crank things up. Even their "HD" looks like crap.

But I think they are already working on that. Just a month ago Google (which owns YouTube) bought this video compression company.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/0...ssion-technology-company-on2-for-106-million/

I can see them tying this service into Android. Google is really trying to take over the world it seems like!

Has anyone been trying out the Apple Itunes video rental? I've been looking for a movie streaming rental service that is quick and simple to use.

I have the Apple TV and LOVE it. I rent movies on there pretty often. The only annoying thing is sometimes the studios don't let movies be rented until they are only for sale for like a month, and you only have 24 hours to watch them. But I think that is kind of standard in the "on demand" arena.

There is also still a LOT of untapped potential int he Apple TV. I hope Apple embraces that soon!

Comment

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Sounds retarded think of something original at least. Every major company is doing that now then who to trust? I will never TRUST GOOGLE or YouTube.

Comment

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Wow. Google just wants to have their hand in every pie. Now, I'm even happier Schmidt left Apple's board.

So true. Don't worry about Redmond, the real evil empire is in Mountain View....

And Apple doesn't?

Of course Apple Computer, only wants to make computers, not consumer electronics. They don't want to replace record labels either and get into the music business. They just make computers. Sometimes a game console sure, or a PDA. Maybe a few web services, and media devices. "Hi-fi" stereo was a just a hobby, along with TV set top boxes, the first time around I mean. Why not a phone, tablet and email service. They can stream a few movies and sell them if they want. I liked that SCSI CD player and remote!

Hey! Leave them alone on the whole wireless router thing and backup system. You bet your aunt Bessie that is a two button mouse! And it shouldn't be news if they make ANOTHER digital camera, the first one was great! Apple Incorporated?? Ha ha, HA HA. Never in a million years would they start to get distracted from great computers. It will always just be Steve making Macintoshs and the great software that runs on them. You say they make software for Windows now too?

Maybe Apple IS in too many pies. We all know the taste of mass produced, readily available Apple pies. How many can you stomach?

mcdonalds-baked-apple-pie.jpg

Comment

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Sounds retarded think of something original at least. Every major company is doing that now then who to trust? I will never TRUST GOOGLE or YouTube.

Not every major corporation is allowing ECHELON black rooms to be installed on major network switches. You can be rest-assured, that this only makes AT&T more trustworthy. Please, be a better skeptic.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.