YouTube in Safari not working.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barneyevo, Aug 10, 2010.

1. barneyevo macrumors member

As per the thread title, YouTube videos aren't playinng in Safari for me either via wifi or 3G.
    The play fine in the YouTube app but since YouTube has updated m.youtube.com, I prefer watching through Safari since it's much faster and easier.

This is an example of what I see when loading a video via Safari. Note the line through the "play" button:
    [​IMG]

I'm using a jailbroken iPhone 4 on OS4.0.1

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

it's because you have restrictions turned ON in your settings and you turned youtube OFF (probabaly because you don't want to see the apple pre-installed youtube app).

when you turn restrictions ON and turn youtube OFF, the youtube app icon disappears and you can't view youtube videos via Safari.

3. barneyevo thread starter macrumors member

Restrictions are turned OFF.
    Any other thoughts?

4. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

that's really the only time i've ever seen it happen. are you sure you've never turned restircitons on and turned the youtub app off (even in the past)?

i'm sure the jailbreak is what the cause is as it's conflicting with the restrictions/youtub app. this wouldn't happen on a stock iphone unless you did what i said (restrict ON, ytube OFF).

5. barneyevo thread starter macrumors member

After 3 restores, I think I MAY have figured out the problem.
    It seems that when I change themes in SBSettings (I much prefer the Tenuis Matte theme over the standard theme), for whatever reason, this seems to be my issue with m.youtube.com via Safari.
    I restored my phone and immediately logged onto m.youtube.com to make sure it was working - all was fine.
    I jailbroke my phone via jailbreakme.com and checked again.
    I proceeded to install SBSettings and Installous and again, m.youtube.com viewed videos correctly.
    I changed the theme on SBSettings and that's when I ran into the problem as shown by the screenshot on my first post.
    I reverted the theme to the standard theme and videos were working fine again.

Just a heads up for people who may encounter this in future.