Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,543
13,173



YouTube will soon place more advertisements in between music videos for some users, in an attempt to "smoke out" anyone who treats YouTube like a free music video playlist service and convince them to pay for its upcoming subscription music service (via Bloomberg). YouTube's unnamed service is described as a "necessary counterweight" to Apple Music and Spotify, and was last rumored to be launching this month.


The news came from a recent SXSW interview with YouTube's global head of music, Lyor Cohen, who went so far as to say that the company is trying to "frustrate" free YouTube users so that they're subsequently "seduced" into paying for a monthly subscription. The new service will include exclusive videos, music playlists, and more, all aimed at "die-hard music fans."
People who treat YouTube like a music service, those passively listening for long periods of time, will encounter more ads, according to Lyor Cohen, the company's global head of music. "You're not going to be happy after you are jamming 'Stairway to Heaven' and you get an ad right after that," Cohen said in an interview at the South by Southwest music festival.

"There's a lot more people in our funnel that we can frustrate and seduce to become subscribers," Cohen said. "Once we do that, trust me, all that noise will be gone and articles people write about that noise will be gone."
Cohen said that YouTube is trying to "be good partners" with the music industry, while also hoping to silence any rumors about the company's alleged harm to the industry and its artists. Over the years, some people have criticized YouTube for copyright violations in videos and underpaying artists and record companies. According to Cohen, this "noise" will end once the subscription service debuts.

A date for that launch has still not been given, but "thousands" of Google employees are said to be testing it right now.

Article Link: YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service
 

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
7,671
14,516
In between a rock and a hard place
Too many ads and I’ll just watch a lot less. Most stuff is time waster videos anyway.
This isn't about time waster videos. This is about people who use youtube as a music streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify.

Cutting people in the middle of songs? Whoever promote their ads like this should know people are going to hate their brand...
You didn't read that correctly. They aren't putting ads in the middle of songs.
 
Comment

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
417
111
Montgomery, AL
You didn't read that correctly. They aren't putting ads in the middle of songs.

There are already ads in the middle of some music videos. Usually when this happens I just go to the next video, if there isn’t an option to skip after 5 seconds, I don’t watch that video at all. For the most part, vlogs represent about 75% of my YouTube usage, with music videos and other types of videos making up the other 25%. If it becomes a hassle to watch music videos, then I won’t watch.
 
Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
8,800
7,992
New Hampshire, USA
There are already ads in the middle of some music videos. Usually when this happens I just go to the next video, if there isn’t an option to skip after 5 seconds, I don’t watch that video at all. For the most part, vlogs represent about 75% of my YouTube usage, with music videos and other types of videos making up the other 25%. If it becomes a hassle to watch music videos, then I won’t watch.

If you subscribe and pay for it, there are no ads ?
 
Comment

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
1,004
3,944
"frustrate and seduce to become subscribers"

This is the problem with the new model of getting a bunch of free users and then later converting to paying customers vs the old model of offering a compelling product for money at the onset.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KazKam and ozute
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
7,671
14,516
In between a rock and a hard place
There are already ads in the middle of some music videos. Usually when this happens I just go to the next video, if there isn’t an option to skip after 5 seconds, I don’t watch that video at all. For the most part, vlogs represent about 75% of my YouTube usage, with music videos and other types of videos making up the other 25%. If it becomes a hassle to watch music videos, then I won’t watch.
Wait, what? Are you saying that during the play of a music video, the video pauses, an ad plays, and then the rest of the video resumes? I've never heard of that before.
 
Comment

blcamp

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
200
387
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Who uses YouTube as if it were the original MTV, anyway?! This is ludicrous. With this kind of idiotic thinking, Google may as well just have an ads-only service... see how that works out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ikir and jjm3
Comment

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
1,238
1,234
Whole internet is becoming one big giant ad. I know it's always been like that, but i have a feeling that in the last three years Google/FB and advertisers really went full retard and are shoveling ads into peoples mouth without thinking "when is it too much?"
 
Comment

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
1,533
1,914
And this is why I stay away from youtube as much as possible. The company has completely lost their way and pay "the cool kids" inflated money to push horrible products (energy drinks and more) onto viewers. Tack on the ads they throw into videos and spam links flying on the screen.. without an adblocker I can't even go on there. And no, I won't pay for youtube red, I see zero reason in doing that knowing how horribly mismanaged that company is.
 
Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.