YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube will soon place more advertisements in between music videos for some users, in an attempt to "smoke out" anyone who treats YouTube like a free music video playlist service and convince them to pay for its upcoming subscription music service (via Bloomberg). YouTube's unnamed service is described as a "necessary counterweight" to Apple Music and Spotify, and was last rumored to be launching this month.

[​IMG]

The news came from a recent SXSW interview with YouTube's global head of music, Lyor Cohen, who went so far as to say that the company is trying to "frustrate" free YouTube users so that they're subsequently "seduced" into paying for a monthly subscription. The new service will include exclusive videos, music playlists, and more, all aimed at "die-hard music fans."
    Cohen said that YouTube is trying to "be good partners" with the music industry, while also hoping to silence any rumors about the company's alleged harm to the industry and its artists. Over the years, some people have criticized YouTube for copyright violations in videos and underpaying artists and record companies. According to Cohen, this "noise" will end once the subscription service debuts.

A date for that launch has still not been given, but "thousands" of Google employees are said to be testing it right now.

Article Link: YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

3. 341328 Suspended

Too many ads and I’ll just watch a lot less. Most stuff is time waster videos anyway.

4. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

More like pushing more users to install Adblock...

5. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

Cutting people in the middle of songs? Whoever promote their ads like this should know people are going to hate their brand...

6. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

The only thing they’re going to “smoke out” is their users and ad revenue. Nobody is paying for YouTube.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

This isn't about time waster videos. This is about people who use youtube as a music streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify.

You didn't read that correctly. They aren't putting ads in the middle of songs.

8. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

I pay for YouTube...I actually pay for Google Play music which includes YouTube Red.

9. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

“There’s a lot more people in our funnel that we can frustrate…”

What an incredibly user-hostile thing to say, but it shouldn’t be surprising coming from an Alphabet/Google owned company.

10. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

There are already ads in the middle of some music videos. Usually when this happens I just go to the next video, if there isn’t an option to skip after 5 seconds, I don’t watch that video at all. For the most part, vlogs represent about 75% of my YouTube usage, with music videos and other types of videos making up the other 25%. If it becomes a hassle to watch music videos, then I won’t watch.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

If you subscribe and pay for it, there are no ads ?

12. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

More ads than today? We’re almost at one ad per video right now, with multiple ads on longer stuff.

13. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

No ads if you subscribe to YT Red.

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

"frustrate and seduce to become subscribers"

This is the problem with the new model of getting a bunch of free users and then later converting to paying customers vs the old model of offering a compelling product for money at the onset.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Wait, what? Are you saying that during the play of a music video, the video pauses, an ad plays, and then the rest of the video resumes? I've never heard of that before.

16. biglipps66 macrumors member

I'll be even less likely to watch videos now, and I'm far from a cheap person.

17. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

Who uses YouTube as if it were the original MTV, anyway?! This is ludicrous. With this kind of idiotic thinking, Google may as well just have an ads-only service... see how that works out.

18. Smartass macrumors 65816

Whole internet is becoming one big giant ad. I know it's always been like that, but i have a feeling that in the last three years Google/FB and advertisers really went full retard and are shoveling ads into peoples mouth without thinking "when is it too much?"

19. tkukoc, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

And this is why I stay away from youtube as much as possible. The company has completely lost their way and pay "the cool kids" inflated money to push horrible products (energy drinks and more) onto viewers. Tack on the ads they throw into videos and spam links flying on the screen.. without an adblocker I can't even go on there. And no, I won't pay for youtube red, I see zero reason in doing that knowing how horribly mismanaged that company is.

20. Zorn macrumors 65816

Zorn

This is completely tone-deaf. People who aren't already running an ad blocker either will, or just go right back to pirating music. Well played, crafty YouTube executive!

21. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

"in an attempt to "smoke out" anyone who treats YouTube like a free music video playlist service"
    But... IT IS a free music service :rolleyes:

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Good thing I don’t watch music videos

23. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I'd rather listen to music on siriusxm, which I do. Maybe not some of the hot stuff of today, like on youtube, but advert free is a big plus.

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Then what are the complaints ?

Do people expect to enjoy the content the way they want it without paying ?

25. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

To be fair, YT Red is not available to most customers. It is only available in the US, Mexico, AUS, NZ, S. Korea, and S. Africa.