Youtube + Integrated graphics (Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angelus512, Aug 17, 2012.

1. angelus512 macrumors member

rMBP integrated can't take HD youtube video's without stuttering from time to time.

Plus when I write (like I am now) sometimes it stutters and then what I wrote suddenly dissapears even though its still there.

A restart usually fixes these issues however but I restart my computer once a day as it is anyways.

These MBP's of which this is my 2nd one now definitely are not just "flawless" products. There is always some issue.

2. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have issues with integrated video. Basically that's all I use less I have an monitor plugged in (because I don't have a choice).

4. angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

See this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I've got a Youtube video playing on another tab and 3 other tabs open.
    Plus about 5 applications all pretty low use. 3.15 GB of RAM free. Computer hasn't been restarted for about 15 hours now.

The tearing on one is obviously. The other one thats a torrent site I actually have written something in that space that appears empty yet it is showing nothing.
    Once the laptop is restarted this stuff doesn't occur for a while but it always does after a while.

I restarted yesterday after I posted this. Hooked up the computer to the TV and watched about 5 hours of HD stuff. Left my computer open overnight to seed some torrents. Woke up this morning and now I get this.
    Thats been my usage. Hardly intense...

Attached Files:

5. angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

Nobody has experienced this before when typing in safari on their Mac?

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Yes! I have these same exact issues! Do you have Mountain Lion?

Sometimes I'll be typing, and a few letters will just freeze up and not show what I'm typing. I get the same YouTube skipping and that page tearing. None of this happened until I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

7. angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

Yep ML correct. Nice to see it might be a software issue...perhaps.

This screenshot (see link) makes it really obvious what I mean.

http://cl.ly/image/3Z3W1W1U2k1W

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Can't say I've had the problems with tearing and text disappearing but YouTube has always randomly lagged on different MacBooks I've had. I haven't experienced it yet on my retina mbp but it's bound to happen occasionally.

9. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I've read several posts about these very issues. No known permanent fix that I know of. Hopefully ML 10.8.1 will fix it.

10. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

I own a 2011 baseline 13 inch MBP which ONLY has integrated graphics. It also has the Intel HD 3000 which is 60% LESS powerful compared to the Intel HD 4000.

And no, I have 0 issues while viewing YouTube videos. Even Diablo 3 runs on ultra high graphics, since I've upgrated to 8GB ram (check out my upgrade video if you want:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZuZFFBJMfg&feature=plcp)

I suggest doing one of the following:

1) Return you MBPr and ask for a replacement (I highly suggest doing this0

2) Wait for Apple to fix this via a software update. But since not a lot of people are having this issue, this is more likely a hardware issue.

So RETURN you MBPr.

Cheers!!

11. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

It's the HD3/4000 video drivers in Mountain Lion.

There's all sorts of graphical bugs being reported from tearing and artefacts in Mail and Safari to full on lock ups..wait for an update.

12. shansoft macrumors 6502

I highly doubt a integrated can play D3 on Ultra setting, unless you are talking about "it runs, but its unplayable".

Back to topic, I have seen these problems for quite a while, both Lion and ML have the same exact issues, they weren't resolve yet.

Overall, the only way to solve it is to force dedicated GPU to do the job, otherwise you should return the laptop, the problem will never be solve since integrated GPU is just too weak to push that resolution and the scaling problem won't be resolve anytime soon I believe.

13. MDFang macrumors member

Chances are Safari is the culprit here, or at the very least may play a role in it.

14. angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

My rMBP was returned. I was given a new one that seems much more solid compared to the last. The last one also creaked a bit because the chassi underside was not correctly torqued in I think.

Plus it had an LG screen with (very very very slight) IR issues.

My new one has a Samsung screen. BOOYAH

15. kpdillon macrumors member

What week is your replacement rMBP?

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

16. angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

Just going to say that on the new laptop this issue persists. Its clearly a software based issue.

17. angelus512, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

angelus512 thread starter macrumors member

This is not a bigger issue for some? Surprised. On my replacement rMBP these graphic artificats continue from tiem to time.

However I'm wondering if its website specific because at the moment I've noticed it artifacts heavy on one particular site I'm using but does not on others....strange.

Maybe just coincidence either way its definitely contiuing.
    Not always but crops up from time to time.

EDIT: I finally decided to look around because I had some time. Anyways turns out it might be GFXcardstatus thats the culprit. So for those that run that program and have these issues I'd either stop running GFXcardstatus or uninstall the program.

Not saying it is but I read a few people thinking it might be. Explaisn also why this issue followed me to my 2nd rMBP.

18. cathul macrumors member

I have these Safari issues on my early 2011 MBP with Mountain Lion, too.
    So it seems it's a software issue instead of a hardware issue with the rMBPs.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace