Youtube: is it Apple or O2?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Anytime i try to watch youtube vids over the 3G network on my 3GS it is ALWAYS a horrible experience, the video is completely blurry, sound is muffled and you pretty much cant make out any detail at all on the vids. The only to get decent quality is to use Wi-Fi

I thought this was O2 throttling its network for any streaming content. However i just got a Pre and Youtube vids load perfectly and at high quality on it over 3G

Is it the iPhone or O2 thats the culprit?

Sep 13, 2008
A bit of both. The iPhone automatically degrades the quality when on 3G or EDGE because:

1. It would take ages to load, so in Apple's eyes it's a "better user experience" because it buffers faster.

2. O2 would get pissy at Apple for allowing users to stream full quality YouTube videos over 3G and EDGE.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
You can easily have Wifi quality Youtube videos anywhere. It's very simple actually, just jailbreak your iPhone (less then 5 minutes) then buy a app called "3G Unrestrictor" and that's all :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I was just going to say the same.
With a jailbroken iphone and 3G Unrestrictor youtube its tricked into thinking its connected to wifi all the time even when on 3G or Edge. So all videos would be high quality, probably a little longer to download also.

You can easily have Wifi quality Youtube videos anywhere. It's very simple actually, just jailbreak your iPhone (less then 5 minutes) then buy a app called "3G Unrestrictor" and that's all :)

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Anytime i try to watch youtube vids over the 3G network on my 3GS it is ALWAYS a horrible experience, the video is completely blurry, sound is muffled and you pretty much cant make out any detail at all on the vids. The only to get decent quality is to use Wi-Fi

I thought this was O2 throttling its network for any streaming content. However i just got a Pre and Youtube vids load perfectly and at high quality on it over 3G

Is it the iPhone or O2 thats the culprit?
someone brought this up before

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=700675

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I must be lucky :)

YouTube on my 3gs via 3G/O2 is perfect - and I don't always get a strong signal.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It's a balance between user experience and quality. The image quality isn't that bad, for viewing on the go.
I tried 3GUnresrictor, and I found that videos took just a little bit too long, and kept buffering, making the experience frustrating, despite the image quality.