Youtube: is it Apple or O2?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daneoni, Nov 27, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Anytime i try to watch youtube vids over the 3G network on my 3GS it is ALWAYS a horrible experience, the video is completely blurry, sound is muffled and you pretty much cant make out any detail at all on the vids. The only to get decent quality is to use Wi-Fi

I thought this was O2 throttling its network for any streaming content. However i just got a Pre and Youtube vids load perfectly and at high quality on it over 3G

Is it the iPhone or O2 thats the culprit?

2. 226896 Guest

A bit of both. The iPhone automatically degrades the quality when on 3G or EDGE because:

1. It would take ages to load, so in Apple's eyes it's a "better user experience" because it buffers faster.

2. O2 would get pissy at Apple for allowing users to stream full quality YouTube videos over 3G and EDGE.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You can easily have Wifi quality Youtube videos anywhere. It's very simple actually, just jailbreak your iPhone (less then 5 minutes) then buy a app called "3G Unrestrictor" and that's all :)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was just going to say the same.
    With a jailbroken iphone and 3G Unrestrictor youtube its tricked into thinking its connected to wifi all the time even when on 3G or Edge. So all videos would be high quality, probably a little longer to download also.

6. lollicup macrumors regular

someone brought this up before

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=700675

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I must be lucky :)

YouTube on my 3gs via 3G/O2 is perfect - and I don't always get a strong signal.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's a balance between user experience and quality. The image quality isn't that bad, for viewing on the go.
    I tried 3GUnresrictor, and I found that videos took just a little bit too long, and kept buffering, making the experience frustrating, despite the image quality.