YouTube is still painful to use on 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by otis123, Nov 11, 2010.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

YouTube is just ungodly slow, I'm connected to an airport extreme that is in 802.11n 5ghz only mode, and YouTube acts like it's on a dial up connection. My Internet is just fine, frontier (was verizon) fios at 20 down and 5 up. Is this a bug? Or is the wifi antenna really that bad in the iPad? Its like the connection falls asleep or something.

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

3. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I find it frustrating that it'll always serve up the largest sized video available, regardless of the bandwidth you're on - so you get sluggish 720p even if you're on a mifi or a bust public broadband, rather than either automatically downgrading the quality or giving you the option to trade off.

4. gatearray macrumors 65816

Download a speedtest app to test your iPad's connection, but also, does YouTube load OK in Safari on your Mac (or an iPhone) connected to the same Wifi network?

Personally, my iPad always plays back YouTube videos just fine, either through the YouTube app, or embedded in a webpage. Airport Express with a similar connection speed as yours.

5. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

The YouTube website designed for the ipad gets the job done for me.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried changing the DNS numbers? That seemed to speed things up for me.

7. MFP, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

MFP macrumors newbie

YouTube is still painful to use on 4.2

I'm on 3.2 and the videos aren't viewable, I've changed the DNS numbers, still extremely slow, I can't seem to find a way to make it faster. I'm usig a linksys router TL-WR641G / TL-WR642G.
    Any help?

(I live in South America.)

Download 0.92 Mbps, Upload 0.34 Mbps.

8. Codythatsme macrumors member

Ive noticed this and it has ruined my youtube viewing experience. I've put it down to the issue that the youtube app defaults the video quality to the highest which my speed cant handle. On my computer I playback Youtube at 360p but it seems to detault at 720p. It would be fine if I could use safari on the iPad to view YouTube video but html5 doesn't work for videos with ads which is basically every YouTube video I watch...

9. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I'm currently staying with my sister and her 100Mbps connection, and YouTube loads excellently. More than excellently, in fact.

So I think it's something to do with the connection and the way the YouTube app loads videos.

Furthermore, if I just go to m.YouTube.com it will load videos much faster. Otherwise, I basically can't use the YouTube app on my iPad at home. Hopefully they'll add a quality switch to the settings, or at least recognize the quality you've got YouTube set at in your profile.

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I hate tapping on my channels and getting a "Youtube not available" message. Wats with that?

11. Codythatsme macrumors member

I found the mobile youtube workaround however its painfully buggy. I'll be 1 minute into watching a video and it will stop and I have to refresh to start playing again. Even then I have to watch it in 240p whack makes me want to vomit.

12. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Maybe the syndication setting in videos.

13. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Are you using the Builtin App or the Mobile Site version through Safari?

14. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Same here than in the other thread. THE BEST web experience!

15. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I'll admit I am not that savvy on iPad tech, but I've found when my iPad is sluggish (including slow YouTube), that clearing out the items on hold in MultiTasking speeds things up quite considerably.

Mike