YouTube Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Codythatsme, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Codythatsme macrumors member

Before I start I would like to say that I have searched this and there are a lot of people with the problem but no solution and those threads were pretty old. So I was wondering if any fix has come for this since then.

Well to the problem Youtube is slow, very slow! I've done a speed test and the wifi speed on my iPad is what it should be but it can't stream YouTube videos without stopping. I've identified the problem as the YouTube app defaulting the quality setting at highest so usual 480/720p, which my connection cant stream. On my desktop, I stream at 360p. So I thought I had found a solution, using the YouTube mobile website where I could disable HD, but when I disable it the quality goes to REALLY low quality, the quality you get when you watch YouTube through 3G. I thought I had found another solution, using the desktop YouTube website streaming the video with html5, but for some reason, I have only found one video out of about 10 that has worked with html5, for some Eason not every video works with it, I just get the old flash is not installed, is there a solution yet?

2. Codythatsme thread starter macrumors member

Wow no one? Thought there would be a response by now, thats a shame, the YouTube viewing experience is basically ruined now watching in ultra low quality....

Found out why HTML 5 wouldn't work on a lot of videos, it doesn't support and ads in videos, so I guess this will be fixed eventually so I guess I'll have to wait till then to watch decent youtube video.

3. chrisiw macrumors regular

I'm afraid that I have given up on the iPad for YouTube, it's total crap, it really does need sorting out by Apple, it's never worked well for me, I use my MacBook for YouTube now.

4. oli356 macrumors 6502

youtube have the mobile site what works.. thought sometimes it randomly shuts safari

the app is terrible... I wish they would sort if out in a update... its slow.. i get errors when going to subscriptions

One of the best thing about the ipad is let down by this.

All other video streaming sites are fine... from xxx content to tvcatchup to south park streaming sites

5. chrisiw macrumors regular

yes I find that BBC iPlayer works fine, as does all the rest on the iPad, but YouTube is a joke! It needs sorting fast, as the iPad is a lot of money, so it should all work, the few people I know with iPads have all found the same as me with YouTube.
    SO SORT IT OUT APPLE.

6. kaibob macrumors regular

I used to have all sorts of problems with the YouTube app but have not experienced any problems since upgrading to 4.2 beta 3 a few days ago. This may just be a coincidence, but I'm hoping that this issue has been fixed. I agree that it's a major irritation.

7. chrisiw macrumors regular

Thanks for the information, that sounds like good news, I see that the software update is available in Nov so I will wait for that, I just hope that it fixes the problem, otherwise I will be wanting a refund on the iPad, as at the moment it only does half the job.

8. DMelanogaster macrumors newbie

I've had horrible YouTube problems too, changing the DNS, making the screen brighter, and all the other fixes did not fix the problem. Then I tried an experiment. Instead of staying connected to my superfast home wireless set-up, I turned on my Verizon MiFi device and connected the iPad to it and voila, YouTube started working great.

My home wireless is MUCH faster than the MiFi, but there must be something different about the relationship of the iPad to the MiFi than to the regular wireless router??

Weird.

9. chrisiw macrumors regular

Thanks for that information, it's very interesting that it sorted out the problem, so it looks like the iPad needs a very fast connection to work with YouTube then.
    Thanks again

10. DMelanogaster macrumors newbie

Nope. I'm saying the opposite of that. I'm saying that YouTube works much better with the slower 3G MiFi than with the faster wifi I have at home.

So it's not speed that's making the difference. It's --- something else.

11. chrisiw macrumors regular

Oh right, I read it wrong, thanks for that.

12. stuartmeyers macrumors regular

stuartmeyers

I stuffed around a long time with router and modem settings to try and fix this problem too. Speed was fine, home pc was fine but youtube started and got slower as it played still it just hung.

My solution is to clear safari cache before watching some youtube. I also wait a few second (maybe 10-20) to make sure the buffer gets ahead. If the buffer gets caught up and it stops, it doesnt seem to like getting started again.

If I want to start fresh I reboot, or use the "system activity monitor" app to empty the memory and have no pages open in safari, then i clear the cache.

It's not perfect but it the best result I have by far and gets me by most of the time.

13. ebooksforipad macrumors newbie

Youtube is part of google and google has Chrome browser, and Safari is an enemy for Chrome.. my stupid allegation, lol..

14. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Boy, hopefully 4.2 really does fix the YouTube app. I too looked for answers when iPad first launched, but no luck. Seeing the post about 4.2 GM gives me hope!